none
Some Office Customization Tool Settings aren't being applied RRS feed

• Question

• Edit: Okay, so it looks like the settings are actually being applied and Office is just unsetting them when it runs. I manually set the registry value "UI Theme" in "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common" to "0x02" (dark grey). When Word opens, for a split second, it's dark gray, but then immediately changes to white. It also reverts the registry key. What is happening? Why is Microsoft like this?

Edit2: So that registry entry doesn't actually exist after the install with the .msp in the updates folder. So the tool Microsoft provides to customize the Microsoft application doesn't actually do anything in this regard. And while my script changes the right setting, the Microsoft application changes it back within nanoseconds of running. This is absolutely insane.

Edit3: Running Office after the install creates a number of registry keys. One of them is in the same place I made mine, except instead of "UI Theme," it's "default ui theme." Even has the 0x02 value. But it doesn't actually do anything. It looks like they set the wrong key with their Customization tool, and then undo the setting when I change the right one.

Original post:

I built a .msp with the Office Customization tool, stuck it in the updates folder. Some of my settings get applied, and some don't. The component selection works. The Trust Center settings work.

But I set the default UI theme to Dark Grey, in the tool, but it's always set to "White." This is a fresh install on a fresh OS, there are no previous settings or anything like that interfering. It doesn't matter if I have the "Migrate user settings" box checked or not. Disabling the "Open e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading view" setting also isn't getting applied.

I can probably fix it by poking some registry settings with powershell, but I shouldn't have to. Does anyone know what's going on?

I'd love to attach images, but technet says I'm not verified.

• Edited by Logan Jones Friday, August 16, 2019 8:29 PM really?
    Friday, August 16, 2019 7:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Do you use Office 2013 Professional Plus? If yes, please refer to this similar thread and try use Group Policy to set the Office Theme: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_resource_kit/2013/09/27/setting-the-office-theme-using-group-policy/

The GPO setting will take precedence over other settings. Please be sure that you have installed the update KB of Office 2013.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance. And you can try attach images again. 

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, August 19, 2019 7:06 AM
  • Thanks, Bella. That's exactly what I ended up doing. Had to install the administrative templates. It wasn't immediately apparent *how* to do that, so I ended up at http://www.ntweekly.com/2014/08/05/question-how-to-install-office-2013-administrative-template-files-admxadml/

Everything's working now, but my God, what a convoluted, unintuitive, outright misleading process.

Monday, August 19, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Hi Logan Jones,

Thanks for your kind responding and share here. And I'm glad to see the issue has been solved.

I ignored to provide you with a reference article on how to use the GPO. Thank you for your advice, which will help us do better next time.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:01 AM