Cannot optimise System Reserved partition - error 0x80070057 "The paramater is incorrect" RRS feed

• Question

• I started a thread about the same topic in the Windows 8.1 Preview section, but it's been archived. I'm still looking for a solution.

If I go into Optimise Drives, the current status for the System Reserved partition is "Needs optimisation", but if I click on the Optimise button, the Optimise Drives window disappears, reappears, but no optimisation has taken place. The error in Event Viewer is "The volume System Reserved was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)." The same error gets added to the log when a scheduled maintenance run occurs.

Now that Windows 8.1 is available to the public, there are more people posting about this, for example, taken from NeoGAF: -

[quote]8.1 seems to have messed up my 'System reserved' partition during the update. It won't optimise even though it's got the "Needs Optimisation" flag. Event Viewer shows "System Reserved The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)" every time I run it, and a quick search shows others with this issue but no solution as far as I can see.[/quote]

[quote]I too just noticed this issue and after a google it seems its quite common (to the point of it sounds like it simply doesn't work at all in 8.1).[/quote]

• Edited by SigmaTheDJ Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:43 AM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:42 AM