How to view Excel and Word documents inside web parts RRS feed

• Question

• I have uploaded an excel sheet and a word document inside my document library , and now I want to view these two documents inside my page using web parts.

So for adding an excel sheet, I did the following:-

1. I edit the page.
    2. Insertàweb part.
    3. From business data àExcel Web access.
    4. I browser for the excel sheet file.
    5. I click on applyà ok.

But I got the following error:-

We're sorry. We ran into a problem completing your request.

Please try that again in a few minutes.

baring in mind that i checked "Excel Services Application " inside the "Configure service application association" for the web application + i have created an Excel service application .

Second question, I could not find a web part to add word documents , so can anyone advice ?

Can anyone advice ?

Thanks

• Edited by johnjohn11 Monday, September 8, 2014 11:25 AM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 11:21 AM

Answers

• There is no SharePoint setting to view word documents in a browser if you do not have Office Web Apps.  There are settings you can change in the browser itself or in windows to open office documents in the browser but that is PC specific and not related to SharePoint.
    • Marked as answer by johnjohn11 Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:55 AM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hello, you'll need to install "Office Web Apps" on separate server to get things going.

There is a nice article on msdn describing whole installation & troubleshooting process:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee855124(v=office.15).aspx

Monday, September 8, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Hello, you'll need to install "Office Web Apps" on separate server to get things going.

There is a nice article on msdn describing whole installation & troubleshooting process:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee855124(v=office.15).aspx

if i am not wrong Office web Apps are needed if i want users to be able to edit office documents using their browsers. but in my case i only want to view these documents. and the Visio web part is working well in my case , and i can view Visio diagrams using the visio web part.... but fot excel & words i am facing the above problems.

• Edited by johnjohn11 Monday, September 8, 2014 1:35 PM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 1:29 PM
  • There is no word viewer web part.  To display a word or powerpoint document in a web part you can use the Page Viewer web part and use the URL of the word or powerpoint document that opens in Office Web Apps.  This url should include the ?Web=1.
    Monday, September 8, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

One of the possible solution will be you can use the Script editor web part and use the iframe to embed the document in the page itself.  Just change the "src" attribute and use the following snippet. 

<iframe width="1026" height="792" src="/_layouts/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc={620929BD-89B3-4874-A760-9BE6E0E96671}&file=Microsoft%20Project%20Server%202013%20Administrators%20Guide.docx&action=embedview" frameborder="0">This is an embedded &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;a target='_blank' href='http&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;#58;//office.com'&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;Microsoft Office&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;/a&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt; presentation, powered by &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;a target='_blank' href='http&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;#58;//office.com/webapps'&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;Office Web Apps&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;/a&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;.</iframe>

You can get the "src" value from the documents library by right click on the document and select copy shortcut.

I have tested the above scenario in the O365 where by default Office Web Apps are installed.

Please mark it answered, if your problem resolved.

Monday, September 8, 2014 1:49 PM
  • There is no word viewer web part.  To display a word or powerpoint document in a web part you can use the Page Viewer web part and use the URL of the word or powerpoint document that opens in Office Web Apps.  This url should include the ?Web=1.

ok i added a Page Viewer web part and then inside the URL i added the word document URL as follow:-

../Documents/ITIL%20Processes/Checklists/CL_Change_Record.doc

but when i navigate to the web page the word document did not open inside the browser, rather it was openned as a download documents as follow:-

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

One of the possible solution will be you can use the Script editor web part and use the iframe to embed the document in the page itself.  Just change the "src" attribute and use the following snippet. 

<iframe width="1026" height="792" src="/_layouts/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc={620929BD-89B3-4874-A760-9BE6E0E96671}&file=Microsoft%20Project%20Server%202013%20Administrators%20Guide.docx&action=embedview" frameborder="0">This is an embedded &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;a target='_blank' href='http&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;#58;//office.com'&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;Microsoft Office&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;/a&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt; presentation, powered by &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;a target='_blank' href='http&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;#58;//office.com/webapps'&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;Office Web Apps&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;/a&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;.</iframe>

You can get the "src" value from the documents library by right click on the document and select copy shortcut.

I have tested the above scenario in the O365 where by default Office Web Apps are installed.

Please mark it answered, if your problem resolved.

i do not have office web apps , so i think your approach will not work in my case , is this right ?
    Monday, September 8, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Office Web Apps is required to view Word documents in the browser on SharePoint.

If you have Office Web Apps you need to include ?Web=1 on the end of the document URL that is used in the page viewer so it will look like this:

../Documents/ITIL%20Processes/Checklists/CL_Change_Record.doc?Web=1

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Office Web Apps is required to view Word documents in the browser on SharePoint.

If you have Office Web Apps you need to include ?Web=1 on the end of the document URL that is used in the page viewer so it will look like this:

../Documents/ITIL%20Processes/Checklists/CL_Change_Record.doc?Web=1

Thanks for the reply, but as a final question, so if i do not have office web apps , then there is no way to view Word documents inside the browser ?
    Monday, September 8, 2014 3:55 PM
  • There is no SharePoint setting to view word documents in a browser if you do not have Office Web Apps.  There are settings you can change in the browser itself or in windows to open office documents in the browser but that is PC specific and not related to SharePoint.
    • Marked as answer by johnjohn11 Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:55 AM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Thank you so much for the Web=1 information.  I've been going crazy for a week!  Is there a way to use any other parameters with this method?  Whenever I try to add &ActiveCell or &wdHideSheetTabs I either get an error, or I get prompted to open the workbook instead of displaying it.

Thanks again for the info!!

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:45 PM