none
HubTransport health set unhealthy (Transport.SendConn.AuthKerb.Monitor/HubTransport) - Outbound authentication failed at the send connector. It may have failed to acquire a Kerberos ticket for the destination target name.

Question

• Hello All ,

In my environment we are having exchange 2013 with CU15 .Very often we used to get the below mentioned alert from SCOM and also it get closed automatically .

Alert details : HubTransport health set unhealthy (Transport.SendConn.AuthKerb.Monitor/HubTransport) - Outbound authentication failed at the send connector. It may have failed to acquire a Kerberos ticket for the destination target name.

In my end i have did the following to find out the cause , but i unable to find out the cause and the destination target name.

1.I have checked the connectivity logs and event logs but there is no luck .

2.Thought of enabling the protocol logging on the send connector but i am not sure whether that is going to help me out.

3.I have checked the registered SPN values , I could see the results in the following format .

SMTP/<FQDN>
    SMTP/<NetBIOS-name>
    SMTPSVC/<FQDN>
    SMTPSVC/<NetBIOS-name>

If i would have missed anything , Please suggest me the steps to find out the cause for this issue .

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Monday, May 15, 2017 11:50 AM

All replies

• Hello All ,

Can someone shed light on this case ?

Monday, May 15, 2017 2:37 PM
  • Hello All ,

Can someone please share your views and suggestions on this issue ?

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

This Error event indicates that outbound SMTP authentication on the specified Send connector failed with the specified destination smart host server. Typically, this error indicates an authentication problem on the Send connector, not on the target smart host server. This error is most likely caused when the Send connector is unable to obtain a Kerberos ticket for the target smart host server that is specified in the error message text.

To resolve this error, verify that the Send connector and the destination smart host are configured to use a common authentication method with the correct credentials and required certificates.

Please also provided the detailed Exchange version of your Exchange server.

Meanwhile, please check the Event log on your Exchange server and post out in detail if exist.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Try to invoke monitor manually and share the Fl output

Invoke-MonitoringProbe HubTransport\Transport.SendConn.AuthKerb.Monitor  -Server  <servername> | Format-List

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hello Hasin Ahmed Choudhary ,

The mentioned alert is triggered and Managed availability automatically closes that alert immediately. At that time if check probe and Health set it shows in a healthy state.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hello Jason Chao ,

Exchange version - Exchange 2013 with CU15 .

Is there is way to find the name of the Send connector and target host and the authentication type used for the SMTP connection ? Since in the SCOM alert i won't be able to get all these details .

Alerts Details :Below is the alert details and i need to find out the reason for this alert .

Outbound Authentication failed with TargetUnknown
    Probe Exception: ''
    Failure Context: ''
    Execution Context: ''
    Probe Result Name: 'Transport/SmtpSendOutboundAuthenticationFailed'
    Probe Result Type: 'Failed'
    Monitor Total Value: '0'
    Monitor Total Sample Count: '1'
    Monitor Total Failed Count: '1'
    Monitor Poisoned Count: '0'
    Monitor First Alert Observed Time: '10/31/2016 4:06:18 PM'

Please let me know if you need any further details from my end.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Hello All ,

Please let me know if anyone has suggestions on this issue ?

Friday, May 19, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

It's recommended to use the Netmon tool to catch the network pockets and filter the SMTP sessions to see if any error messgaes to find the cause.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 9:49 AM