Windows 7 Start Bar Bug RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with Windows 7. I have 'Windows Explorer' pinned to the Start Bar, and several shortcuts pinned to the Start Menu shortcut. The problem I'm having is that some of those shortcuts have replicated themselves, and I'm unable to remove them.

Has anybody seen this problem before, or knows of a solution?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• Can you provide a screen capture to show what you mean please?
    Rich
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Hello,

I think the start Bar you mentioned is "TaskBar". This problem may caused by the taskbar settings. Try the following solutions:

Combine the taskbar shortcuts
    =======================
    1. Click start button, in start research bar, type in "Taskbar and start menu properties"(without quote) and then press enter.
    2. Click Taskbar tab, in Taskbar buttons section, select "Always combine, hide labels".

If the problem still happens, try to create a new account and to see if the problem still happens in this new account:
    1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Double click "User Accounts".
    3. Click "Manager another account" and click "Create a new account".
    4. Input the user name, select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".
    5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

Thomas77
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Here's a screenshot of the issue:

The 'Guides' pinned entry has replicated itself numerous times, and I'm unable to unpin any of them.

Does anybody have any ideas?

P.S. The 'Guides' shortcut points to a folder on a network drive, which is accessible.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Hello,

Have you tested the problem in a new account? If the problem still happens, let's try the following steps:

Re-pin the windows explorer to taskbar
    ============
    1.  Open the following folder:

C:\Users[your user account]\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

The 'Appdata' folder and 'User Pinned' folder are hidden, you need to show the hidden files first.

2. Remove the Windows Explorer.
    3. Open c:\Windows\, locate explorer.exe. create a shortcut of explorer.exe.
    4. Copy this explorer.exe to C:\Users[your user account]\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Thomas77
    • Edited by Thomas_77 Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lachlan Hillman Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:16 PM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Hello,

Have you tested the problem in a new account?
    Thomas77

I have another computer with exactly the same version of Windows 7 installed, the same user account name, and the same kind of setup with the Windows Explorer pinned entries (i.e. I have shortcuts to folders on a network drive), and the issue is not popping up.

As a point of interest, the item at the top of the pinned entries is a shortcut to Computer. I'm not sure whether the issue relates to the Computer shortcut specifically, or just because it was the top entry. In any case, the Computer shortcut has been replaced numerous times by the Guide shortcut. It seems to be replaced whenever I re-add it to the top of the pinned entries.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Have you tried a new account as Thomas_77 suggested?

Rich
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

What Thomas_77 suggested did not work. Where are the actual pinned items (WITHIN a pinned Quick Launch item) stored so that I can delete them manually?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Has anyone figured out how to solve this problem? It's been plaguing me since I upgraded to Windows 7 and I haven't been able to find a solution. The problem is exactly like that in the screenshot above. As an added bonus, Windows Explorer likes to crash when I try to unpin one of the duplicates.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Having formatted my computer with a fresh copy of Windows 7, the problem has re-emerged. If anyone can shed any light on this issue, it would be much appreciated.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:42 AM