none
Project name has "&" RRS feed

• Question

• Someone created 2 projects with "&" in the name.

Now when we try to change ownership or the PM, it will not save in PWA project details.

Please help.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have no experience with this situaltion. Not sure how someone could create a project with an '&' in the name. Is it possible to rename the project in PDP Project Details (from process and technically)? I can't try, since I am not able to create a project with such a name.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Have you tried to give the project a different name by opening it in MS Project and doing "File - save as"?

Once you saved and published the new project, you can change ownership of the new project and delete the original one.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

HFprojects's suggestion is good, if you don't

• use timesheets
    • and don't have any interfaces relying on any guid (ProjectUID, TaskUID, AssignmentUID)

Recreating the project with a different name will create new GUIDs. Therefore, tasks in existing timesheets will loose their connection to the task. Also any interfaces will have to handle different GUIDs, and this is not implemented in the most cases.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:02 AM
  • That is very useful information; thanks Barbara!
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:20 AM
  • And this is our problem, we cannot rename the project because of multiple ID links and the use of timesheets.

Please help further.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

renaming is no issue, Project Server will handle that. You only may not create a new project from the existing one - this would cause issues. Is renamig working from a technical point of view?

You can easily verify, what I am telling: Create 2 new projects. Link tasks between these projects. (I assume you are referring to links between projects?). You can also create assignments and enter hours in timesheet.

Rename one of these test projects and open after a few minutes the other onbe. You will see that external links are displaying the new name.

Open timesheet and check that you are still able to see assignment, e.g. by clicking on task name to see details.

And as I told: Just renaming will not interfere with timesheets. With one exception: timesheets will still show the old project name, but project is the same. ProjectUID is unchanged, timesheet is just keeping a kind of historical information.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Thanks Barbara, that looks like good info, I'll need to check it.

We use PWA and are a large company with many projects and resources, which are all linked and the data is used in multiple reports and other locations, so I'm not sure if there is a simple solution to our issue.

We're not even sure how it was possible to create projects with "&" in the name.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:05 PM