SCCM and App-V Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am deplyoying an App-V package via SCCM using the download content and run locally option in the advertisement.
    The advertisement is targeted at a machine (Windows 7).

When I run the advertisment, the virtual application shortcut is written to c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs !!! This is the system account profile..
    I was expecting it to appear in the All Users Programs folder - i.e. c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I've set the shortcut location in the osd file to %CSIDL_PROGRAMS% which should resolve to All Users...

SCCM Server - SP2 - 4.00.6487.2000
    SCCM Client - 4.0.6487.2000
    Appv-Client - 4.5.1.15691

If I find the shortcut (which a standard user would not have access to) and run it the application loads and launches correctly.
    • Edited by Virtual Mii Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:05 AM Correction
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:53 AM

Answers

• I installed the 4.6 RC App-V client and guess what?

I now have a shortcut in the following folders:

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (available to all users)
    and
    c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs (available to the system account only)

If I remove the application using the console, the 1st shortcut is removed, but not the 2nd.
    If I remove the application by letting SCCM do it (by removing the machine from the collection used to target the App-V package) both shortcuts are removed.

I conclude that there is some interaction between SCCM and the App-V client on Windows 7 which when targetted at machines doesn't work as expected with 4.5
    If you want to target machines using SCCM you need to use the 4.6 client...
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

1. I believe the SP2 has gone RTM and you should probably try that.
    2. If the problem is the same there I would suggest to report it to Microsoft for remedy.

/Znack
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Apologies, I have corrected the server version - it is in fact SP2 RTM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:06 AM
  • More information...

The VirtualApp.log reveals that the application is being executed via SCCM with
    SFTMIME.COM /GLOBAL switch
    a return code of 0 results.
    So far, so good..

The sftlog.txt reveals that the shortcut is created in to c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs
    No so good!

So what's happening here? Even though SCCM is seemingly installing the virtual application as /GLOBAL i.e. available to all users, when it get's to the app-v client this is disregarded.

Strangely, the reverse of this issue was fixed in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/972417 which was subsequently rolled up into SP2.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....

Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:00 PM
  • I've set the shortcut location in the osd file to %CSIDL_PROGRAMS% which should resolve to All Users...
    Did you do this before saving the Package on the Sequencer?
    If not, this change would not be applied for SCCM, because SCCM refers to the locations specified in the [packagename]_manifest.xml

Falko
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Did you do this before saving the Package on the Sequencer? 
    If not, this change would not be applied for SCCM, because SCCM refers to the locations specified in the [packagename]_manifest.xml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Falko
    Hi,

The value is the same in both files (osd and xml)..
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hello,

well, just for the interest of troubleshooting;

What happens if you manually perform the commands either as a user or as the system account?

/Znack
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I installed the 4.6 RC App-V client and guess what?

I now have a shortcut in the following folders:

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (available to all users)
    and
    c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs (available to the system account only)

If I remove the application using the console, the 1st shortcut is removed, but not the 2nd.
    If I remove the application by letting SCCM do it (by removing the machine from the collection used to target the App-V package) both shortcuts are removed.

I conclude that there is some interaction between SCCM and the App-V client on Windows 7 which when targetted at machines doesn't work as expected with 4.5
    If you want to target machines using SCCM you need to use the 4.6 client...
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:43 AM