none
Parent / Child DNS design RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm implementing a new domain structure. We're using parent/child domains and we own the parent TLD. This enables us to use split brain DNS for the parent domain company1.com as we want the ability to manage an internal and external zone of the company1.com zone. All child and parent DC’s will be installed as DNS servers. <o:p></o:p>

When using parent/child domains I usually design it so clients point to their local child DC which then forwards all requests it doesn’t have a zone for to the parent DC which then in turn forwards to the local ISP or F/W DNS. <o:p></o:p>

I've had some queries on why I don't just forward external dns queries straight from the child DC as forwarding via the root DC is an extra step, this is correct but I don't really see any other way otherwise all the queries for the parent company1.com zone would go externally and not to the internally hosted zone. <o:p></o:p>

What is the best practice for forwarding DNS queries in this scenario?<o:p></o:p>

I have a nice diagram but am currently unable to post it. <o:p></o:p>

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

• Edited by Matthew Owen Monday, November 13, 2017 1:11 PM Mistake
    Monday, November 13, 2017 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Less forwarding is better, but as long as queries aren't timing out then it really shouldn't matter much.

However, it would be a simple matter to configure the child DNS servers with a conditional forwarder for the parent domain and a server level forwarder to the Internet.  In this scenario, child DNS servers will answer requests for which they are authoritative, forward requests for the parent zone to the parent DNS server, and send everything else to the Internet.

I hope this helps,

-Greg

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:42 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Matthew Owen,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:40 AM