Server 2008 - Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC event ID 12293 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Server 2008 Standard machine that was originally installed using a KMS key, I have since changed the key to a MAK via Control Panel > System > Change product key.

However every night I receive this error in my Application event log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC
    Date:          4/22/2010 9:22:19 AM
    Event ID:      12293
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      server.domain.internal
    Description:
    Publishing the Key Management Service (KMS) to DNS in the 'domain.internal' domain failed.
    Info:
    hr=0x80072338

I have run slmgr /dlv and I see the line "VOLUME_KMS_B_channel", however I also see "Key Management Service is enabled on this machine"

I don't want to use KMS and I want to get rid of that error. Can anyone help?

Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

• I tried the following solution two or three times without success.

Use the slmgr -IPK command to replace the product key. Type in the MAK product key... this will replace the KMS with the MAK.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...-slmgrvbs.html

I tried it again using a different key this time. Turns out that MS volume licensing labeled my MAK key as a KMS key and vice-versa.

Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by Blaine Kehl Friday, April 23, 2010 4:19 PM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:19 PM

All replies

• I tried the following solution two or three times without success.

Use the slmgr -IPK command to replace the product key. Type in the MAK product key... this will replace the KMS with the MAK.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...-slmgrvbs.html

I tried it again using a different key this time. Turns out that MS volume licensing labeled my MAK key as a KMS key and vice-versa.

Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by Blaine Kehl Friday, April 23, 2010 4:19 PM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hello Blaine,

Did you stop and restart the licensing service or restart after changing the key?  I think that may also resolve the issue

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:50 PM