none
IE10 removed, IE 8 in place but not behaving RRS feed

• Question

• A user using a Classic ASP app & IE10 was working fine. I was surprised because I'd not seen any
    IE10 installation and this app work well together. Today it finally became symptomatic.

The symptom was a Crystal Report 9 ActiveX report view windows would not "stick". You'd see the window initialising and then close.  But earlier in the day this was fine.  Nothing new installed/modified.

So, Remove IE10 (via CP->Windows Updates-> Uninstall IE 10)
    In the past there's usually been some resetting of privacy and security settings. No difference this time. Those were confirmed
    Reversion to IE8 done. But now:

There are two issues with the ASP and IE10
    1) some scripts load comdlg32.cab/dll. But IE8 is now not able to load it.

2)Crystal Reports ActiveX viewer. When the user requests a report from Crystal the "UAC/Allow program to make changes" challenge appears but not the "Install this activex control/Always trust content from this provider" dialogue.   This time, after the IE10 removal it was possible to allow the ActiveX each time requested and get a report. After a few times that stopped working completely and now no report appears in the window and just the traditional red "X" in the upper left corner.

For the Comdlg32: can anyone confirm that the IE10 removal left droppings of comdlg32 that are _newer_ and thus not compatible with IE8? If so, where/what would they be and how to remedy? I've got copies of the old/original comdlg32.cab/dll/ocx -- but a search of the sick machine can find no instances of these.

For the CrystalReports: Does anyone have any info on why the activex would load a few times and then stop working as well as not "stick" the first time as a permanent add-on? I presume there's some flag somewhere that's decided the add-on is persona non-grata or that its already loaded -- but it doesn't show in Manage add-ons either enabled or disabled. In fact it seems all the previous add-ons that showed under IE10 are now gone with just  4or5 enabled and maybe 15 more disabled.

I understand these issues could probably be ameliorated  with proper standards for the scripts and upgrading of Crystal and whatever the modern equivalent of comdlg32 is.  But of course, the powers that be, see things working OK/most of the time vias workarounds and efforts at modernization get side-tracked.  It'd be great if IE8/10 would behave consistently badly and not just intermittently. When you can't turn the radio on in _any_ car that gets attention...

Crystal 9 has a Java viewer too.  Hmmm, we don't usually use it but try it.  Got the following from IE8 when trying:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: iexplore.exe
      Application Version: 8.0.7601.17514
      Application Timestamp: 4ce7a313
      Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
      Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
      Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec4aa8e
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 000000000004e4b4
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 8201
      Additional Information 2: 82010a1c751d363e755568d2ce8ac971
      Additional Information 3: f1b7
      Additional Information 4: f1b7e235c5b5a841c41d9715552fe1aa

I hope I was clear (enough!) thanks

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

ntdl.dll errors are associated with device driver incompatibilities. The IE10 upgrades include upgrades to DirectX... try a DXDiag.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:22 AM