Elantech touchpad not recognised by Windows 10 Build 10162 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer Aspire E 17 model ES1-711-P14W and windows does not recognise the Elan Precision Touchpad, I also have 4 devices, 2 of which are marked as unknown, that I cannot install drivers for. I can post hardware IDs for the 4 devices that are missing drivers. The touchpad is not even recognised by the Device Manager. I am using my Logitech mouse currently.

Monday, July 6, 2015 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you mean the Bluetooth was missing from device manager? How did you delete it?

Open the Device Manger, click View -> Show hidden devices to see if it appear.

If it's not listed, find a category named Other devices under Device Manager to see if it appear there.

If no, reboot the computer, go to Device Manager ->Action -> Scan for hardware changes to check the result.

If all above is useless, consider reset the BIOS to default to check.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:05 AM
  • I have an Acer Aspire E 17 model ES1-711-P14W and windows does not recognise the Elan Precision Touchpad, I also have 4 devices, 2 of which are marked as unknown, that I cannot install drivers for. I can post hardware IDs for the 4 devices that are missing drivers. The touchpad is not even recognised by the Device Manager. I am using my Logitech mouse currently.

Did you try the Windows8.1 64bit drivers available here?:

http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/drivers

(Product model = Aspire ES1-711 )

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 11:10 AM
  • I installed the drivers from Acer but it did not help, the Precision Touchpad still does not work, I got rid of the unknown devices. The Bluetooth is working properly. My touchpad works fine in Windows 8.1.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 12:02 PM
  • Hi,

So now it disappeared as the correct type of device in the Device Manager instead of unknown device, right?

Have you tried the suggestion above I provide?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2015 8:54 AM
  • My touchpad never showed up in the device manager not even as an unknown device, This computer has a UEFI firmware. I used device ID's to find out what device each one was and downloaded the drivers from Acer, they work as far as I know, the only thing that does not is the touchpad.
    Friday, July 10, 2015 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

If it didn't showed in the device manager, you need check your BIOS settings. Or send your computer to repair center to see if this hardware damaged already.

Monday, July 13, 2015 9:49 AM
  • There is nothing wrong with my touchpad, it works perfectly fine in Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu, this Acer is not even 3 months old I doubt the trackpad is damaged... It NEVER showed in the device manager, it NEVER worked in 10, it WORKS in 8.1. I never said it showed up, I have to use my keyboard to control the bootloader. There is Nothing in the BIOS about the touchpad.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 6:35 PM
  • I'm guessing that the Elantech touchpad drivers have some missing or incompatible configuration information, causing this "drivers-won't-load issue".

Elantech write the drivers (or commission that work), and provide them to OEM's like Acer who embed the touchpad in laptops and pre-install the drivers in the OEM custom Windows install.

At some stage, Elantech *may* submit the drivers to MSFT for certification, and if they pass certification MSFT will offer them via windowsupdate.

Windows will only try to match/rank the drivers it knows about to find the "best" driver. If the only driver or "best" driver is the generic mouse driver, that's what you'll get. So at the moment you probably have some kind of generic/basic driver which doesn't know anything about the Elantech-specific features.

Or, the Elantech device might not be presenting the expected PnP device class to Windows, maybe Windows isn't loading the generic mouse driver ?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:31 PM
  • When I opened up the touchpad driver download from Acer, the INF file for X64 contains these HWIDs, do any of them match yours?

%ELANI2CDeviceDesc% = ETDI2C_STD_Inst, HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_1000
    %ELANI2CDeviceDesc% = ETDI2C_STD_Inst, HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_1000&Col01
    %ELANI2CDeviceDesc% = ETDI2C_STD_Inst, HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_0000
    %ELANI2CDeviceDesc% = ETDI2C_STD_Inst, HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_0501
    %ELANI2CDeviceDesc% = ETDI2C_STD_Inst, HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_0501&Col01

Don

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:44 PM