none
The sub-project file name does not transfer to the summary task name onmaster file RRS feed

• Question

• I use templates to insert into a master project file to be used as needed. When I insert such templates as Subprojects, master project file (with no links), the summary task name is not the same name as the name of the template file.

I wish I could insert here an image to demonstrate the issue better, but I'm waiting for my account verification.

Thank you,

Ekin.

Friday, July 21, 2017 4:06 PM

Answers

• Ekin,

The summary line insertion point of a subproject in a dynamic master is determined by the Title Property of the subproject, not by the subproject filename. You can see the Title by going to File > Info and clicking on the Project Information on the right side of the screen. From there select Advanced Properties. You can set the Title to whatever you want.

Normally when a new file is created the Title is by default the filename, but if the filename is changed (e.g. Save as), that change will not transfer over to the Title.

And just for reference, in Project dynamic master/subproject  structures are prone to corruption. None of the files in the structure should ever by renamed, moved, overwritten or saved off to another location. Also, all files in the structure should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. If you need to create a single file of several files, it is much safer to create a static master. A static master is created by unchecking the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Friday, July 21, 2017 4:44 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Ekin,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Dynamic structures do work but generally they are best to be avoided unless the user is very proficient with Project and has extraordinary file management discipline.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Friday, July 21, 2017 5:54 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 5:38 PM

All replies

• Ekin,

The summary line insertion point of a subproject in a dynamic master is determined by the Title Property of the subproject, not by the subproject filename. You can see the Title by going to File > Info and clicking on the Project Information on the right side of the screen. From there select Advanced Properties. You can set the Title to whatever you want.

Normally when a new file is created the Title is by default the filename, but if the filename is changed (e.g. Save as), that change will not transfer over to the Title.

And just for reference, in Project dynamic master/subproject  structures are prone to corruption. None of the files in the structure should ever by renamed, moved, overwritten or saved off to another location. Also, all files in the structure should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. If you need to create a single file of several files, it is much safer to create a static master. A static master is created by unchecking the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Friday, July 21, 2017 4:44 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Thank you! I would've never be able to figure this out by myself. It's good now.

In regards to your reference, I will never use templates as dynamic links, meaning, I'll always uncheck the 'link to project' box. This also added the name 'static master' to my vocabulary. So thank you for that too.

Have a great day,

Ekin.

Friday, July 21, 2017 4:44 PM
  • Ekin,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Dynamic structures do work but generally they are best to be avoided unless the user is very proficient with Project and has extraordinary file management discipline.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Friday, July 21, 2017 5:54 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 5:38 PM