none
Win10 Windows Update P2P RRS feed

• Question

• Hey gang, does anyone know if there's a way to disable to P2P mode for Windows Updatethrough Powershell? Also a method to set the Dowload Rates through Powershell? We're in a small business environment where all client machines are running OEM Win10 Pro and as such cant use GP to block this setting, and as a multi-site business this P2P transfer is consistently nuking our pipe by drawing updates from other sites.
    • Edited by Aaron Fain Monday, January 28, 2019 10:53 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2019 10:00 PM

Answers

• You should note that the "Delivery Optimization" ADMX template is built into Windows 10 and is loaded.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Aaron Fain Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:37 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2019 11:12 PM

All replies

• You would do this with Group Policy and not with a script.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:04 PM
  • As stated in my post, we're running an environment where client computers are all running Win10 PRO.  Is this still a setting we can manage if we are not running WSUS or something of the sort?
    Monday, January 28, 2019 10:29 PM
  • This is not a scripting question/problem.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:30 PM
  • Well Bill, if you could tell me what it is i'd be happy to go there, but I was asking about modifying these settings through Powershell, which to my knowledge IS a scripting issue.

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:35 PM
  • As stated in my post, we're running an environment where client computers are all running Win10 PRO.  Is this still a setting we can manage if we are not running WSUS or something of the sort?

Group Policy is built into all Windows AD domains.  You need to get a trained person to help you with AD.  It is not for untrained users as scripting is not for untrained users.  You need to contact someone with Windows training that matches your environment.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:35 PM
  • Appologies jrv, but my System Administrator is the one who told me we couldn't manage that setting with GP because we're not using WSUS.  As such he asked me to look into modifying this with Powershell, thus my question here.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 10:37 PM
  • Well Bill, if you could tell me what it is i'd be happy to go there, but I was asking about modifying these settings through Powershell, which to my knowledge IS a scripting issue.

You can go to the Group Policy forum.  I think Bill can move this there.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:37 PM
  • Please ask your question here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:42 PM

Bill, as the original question is still a Powershell script request, i'd still like an answer to that.  As for asking about a group policy option, i'll certainly ask in the other forum.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 10:52 PM
  • Appologies jrv, but my System Administrator is the one who told me we couldn't manage that setting with GP because we're not using WSUS.  As such he asked me to look into modifying this with Powershell, thus my question here.

Yes.  You can with GPP.  There is no way to set the download rate.  It will always run slowly in the background and fast when no one is using the system.

There is now Windows setting that I know of that can change this.

The easiest way to do this in GP is to disable branch on all clients through a GPO.  The P2P as you call it is also called BranchCache.  With WUS this is managed by WSUS.  Without WSUS it is available on all Windows systems since at least Windows 7.   Disabling BranchCache turns off all of these features.

The settings in the Windows Update configuration pages in W10 are just setting Branch Cache properties.

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-branchcache

W10 "Delivery Optimization" just allows us to set the client side settings which are unnecessary if caching is disabled.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:56 PM

Bill, as the original question is still a Powershell script request, i'd still like an answer to that.  As for asking about a group policy option, i'll certainly ask in the other forum.

Here are the GP templates and settings for the "Delivery Optimization" settings.  They should also be already installed on Windows Server 2016 and later but may have to be loaded.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3088114/how-to-use-group-policy-to-configure-windows-update-delivery-optimizat

If you look in the ADMX files you will see the registry settings effected.  This is exactly what you have to change via script and scripting it serves no useful purpose.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, January 28, 2019 11:00 PM

The forum is not for script requests.  You can search the Inet for scripts that others may have written or post in the Forum for Script requests.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, January 28, 2019 11:01 PM
  • The forum is not for script requests.  You can search the Inet for scripts that others may have written or post in the Forum for Script requests.

\_(ツ)_/

I see, Bill any chance you can push this over to the requests?
    Monday, January 28, 2019 11:08 PM
  • You should note that the "Delivery Optimization" ADMX template is built into Windows 10 and is loaded.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Aaron Fain Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:37 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2019 11:12 PM
  • I should also note that this has nothing to do with P2P.  "P2P is a protocol.  WU does not use P2P it uses other methods one of which is called "Internet Peering". Posting questions with P2P will not likely get you close to answers.  The answers are found by searching for "Delivery Optimizations" or "Windows Update Delivery Optimizations" or WUDO.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, January 28, 2019 11:18 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2019 11:17 PM
  • Bill, as the original question is still a Powershell script request, i'd still like an answer to that.  As for asking about a group policy option, i'll certainly ask in the other forum.

This is not the correct forum for script requests, as noted in the first post:

This forum is for scripting questions rather than script requests

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:46 PM
    • Edited by jrv Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:09 AM