Exchange 2019 Prerequisite Analysis Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a Domain Controller running on Windows Server 2016 and a member server running Windows Server 2019 that we plan to install Exchange 2019 on.

When we run the following command on the Domain Controller from the Exchange 2019 installation media:

.\Setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /PrepareSchema

we get the following results:

***** Start of  prerequisite check *******

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Prerequisite Analysis                                                                             FAILED

The Active Directory schema isn't up-to-date, and this user account isn't a member of the 'Schema Admins' and/or
    'Enterprise Admins' groups.
    For more information, visit: //technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.SchemaUpdateRequired
    .aspx

Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Couldn't find the Enterprise Organization
    container. See the Exchange setup log for more information on this error.
    For more information, visit: //technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.AdInitErrorRule.aspx

The forest functional level of the current Active Directory forest is not Windows Server 2012 R2 or later. To install
    Exchange Server 2019, the forest functional level must be at least Windows Server 2012 R2.
    For more information, visit: //technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.ForestLevelNotWin212R2.aspx

Either Active Directory doesn't exist, or it can't be contacted.
    For more information, visit: //technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.CannotAccessAD.aspx

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the
    <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

***** End of  prerequisite check *******

1. The user account we are using is a member of the 'Schema Admins' and 'Enterprise Admins' groups.

2. The Domain Controller running Windows Server 2016 has all 5 FSMO roles.

3. The domain functional level of the Active Directory domain is Windows Server 2012 R2.

4. The forest functional level of the Active Directory forest is Windows Server 2012 R2.

What could be causing the prerequisite check to fail?

Regards,

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi GIC-AUA,

Do you see any objects in the Microsoft Exchange System Objects container?

According to the error” Couldn't find the Enterprise Organization container.” This shows that there are other containers and objects in the organization. The solution is to determine which version of the server these objects are, and then run PrepareAD once using the installation program of the version server, and then the new version can be installed.

There is a similar case you could refer to:Exchange Server 2013 Setup Fails with Error “Couldn’t Find the Enterprise Organization Container”.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In addition, could you find more error informations in the ExchangeSetupLogs?

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 22, 2020 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hi GIC-AUA,

Did you start CMD as an administrator to run this command line?

According to the error information you provided, this error may be caused by two reasons.

1. According to the error” Couldn't find the Enterprise Organization container.” this means there is a duplicate Microsoft Exchange System Objects container in Active Directory Domain Naming context. So, we need to delete the duplicate container before Setup can continue.

Specific steps you could refer to:Duplicate Microsoft Exchange System Objects container exists in Active Directory.

2. According to the error” Either Active Directory doesn't exist, or it can't be contacted”, this means can't contact a valid Active Directory directory service site. I suggest you run the following command line in CMD to check if your Windows server 2019 can connect to DC normally.

nltest /dsgetdc:

For more information you could refer to:Active Directory does not exist or cannot be contacted.

Please note that if you have multiple Active Directory forests, make sure you're logged into the right one, and the computer needs to be a member of the same Active Directory domain and site as the schema master.

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 6:51 AM
  • Hello Lucas

1. Yes we are starting the CMD command as an administrator.

2. I followed the steps in the article "Duplicate Microsoft Exchange System Objects container exists in Active Directory" but I see only one Microsoft Exchange System Objects container in the Active Directory.

3. I ran the following command on the member server running Windows Server 2019:

nltest /dsgetdc:domainname.local

I got the response
       Getting DC name failed: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN

4. I ran the same command on the Domain Controller running on Windows Server 2016 and I got the response:

DC: \\dc-svr-01. domainname.local
          Address: \\2001:0:34f1:8072:246a:f00:3f57:f ff2
         Dom Guid: 5c046cd5-6c20-4681-8d38-267647df302d
         Dom Name: domainname.local
      Forest Name: domainname.local
     Dc Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
    Our Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
            Flags: PDC GC DS LDAP KDC WRITABLE DNS_DC DNS_DOMAIN DNS_FOREST CLOSE_SITE FULL_SECRET WS DS_8 DS_9 DS_10 0x20000
    The command completed successfully

Please note that I ran the command below on both the Windows Server 2016 Domain Controller and the Windows Server 2019 member server and it failed on both:

Regards,

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:59 PM
  • Hello Lucas

Since my last message, there is an update.

I fixed the issue on the member server running Windows Server 2019 when we run the command:

I now get the response:

C:\Windows\system32>nltest /dsgetdc:domainname.local
               DC: \\dc-svr-01.domainname.lo cal
          Address: \\192.168.0 .13
         Dom Guid: 5c046cd5-6c20-4681-8d38-267647df302d
         Dom Name: domainname.local
      Forest Name: domainname.local
     Dc Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
    Our Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
            Flags: PDC GC DS LDAP KDC WRITABLE DNS_DC DNS_DOMAIN DNS_FOREST CLOSE_SITE FULL_SECRET WS DS_8 DS_9 DS_10 0x20000
    The command completed successfully

However, when I run the command below on the Windows Server 2016 Domain Controller:

I get the results:

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Prerequisite Analysis                                                                             FAILED

The Active Directory schema isn't up-to-date, and this user account isn't a member of the 'Schema Admins' and/or
    'Enterprise Admins' groups.
    For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/libra ry(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.SchemaUpdateRequired.aspx

Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Couldn't find the Enterprise Organization
    container. See the Exchange setup log for more information on this error.
    For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/li brary(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.AdInitErrorRule.aspx

The forest functional level of the current Active Directory forest is not Windows Server 2012 R2 or later. To install
    Exchange Server 2019, the forest functional level must be at least Windows Server 2012 R2.
    For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/li brary(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.ForestLevelNotWin2012R2.aspx

Either Active Directory doesn't exist, or it can't be contacted.
    For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/libra ry(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.CannotAccessAD.aspx

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the
    <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

As mentioned before:

1. I am running this on the domain controller that has all 5 FSMO roles.
    2. I am running the command with an account that is a member of the 'Schema Admins' and 'Enterprise Admins' groups.
    3. The domain and forest functional level of teh active directory is Windows Server 2012 R2.
    4. The active directory appears to be working fine since it is currently servicing a network.

Regards,

Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:37 AM
  • Hello Lucas

Did you have a chance to review my last post?

Regards,

Friday, June 19, 2020 8:21 PM
  • Hello GIC-AUA,

I agreed with Lucas_Liu. Is this the first Exchange server in the organization? 

If yes, then the Microsoft Exchange System Object folder will be created during the PrepareAD/PrepareDomain but here the PrepareSchema is failing which means that the existing container "Microsoft Exchange System Objects" seems to be a duplicate.

Can you check if any objects are created under that OU?

Also check the ObjectVersion attribute value in the properties of that OU.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/prepare-ad-and-domains?view=exchserver-2019

Then follow the below article 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/duplicate-microsoft-exchange-system-objects-container-exists-in-active-directory-exchange-2013-help?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

• Proposed as answer by Ashokm_14 Tuesday, June 23, 2020 2:46 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2020 9:42 PM
  • Hi GIC-AUA,

Do you see any objects in the Microsoft Exchange System Objects container?

According to the error” Couldn't find the Enterprise Organization container.” This shows that there are other containers and objects in the organization. The solution is to determine which version of the server these objects are, and then run PrepareAD once using the installation program of the version server, and then the new version can be installed.

There is a similar case you could refer to:Exchange Server 2013 Setup Fails with Error “Couldn’t Find the Enterprise Organization Container”.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In addition, could you find more error informations in the ExchangeSetupLogs?

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Monday, June 22, 2020 10:40 AM
  • Hi Lucas

I can now prepare the schema.

Apparently I did not understand clearly what you meant by "there is a duplicate Microsoft Exchange System Objects container in Active Directory Domain Naming context". I was literally looking for two separate containers and saw only one. Therefore, I left it alone. I eventually removed the one container and I was able to prepare the schema.

Regards,

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 3:10 PM
  • Hi GIC-AUA,

I am happy to hear that your problem has been solved.

This is the conclusion based on the error message. The error message shows that there are other containers and objects in the organization. This may be because other Exchange organizations have been installed before, but they are not completely uninstalled when uninstalling. The remaining containers and objects will cause Report an error.

Thank you for sharing the solution, this will help more people.

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 10:06 AM