Sequencing Reader 9 RRS feed

• Question

• Just a head's up that when sequencing Reader 9, during the "Lauch" phase Reader would fail with "Could not load core DLL". (Or something similar). This was in a VM installed to Q:\AdbeRdr9.

The fix/workaround appears to be to first install Reader 9 on the sequence station, launch, then uninstall, then sequence/install as you normally would. After that it worked fine. The only possible other difference I could think of is that the 2nd attempt I set compression to "none". However, afterward I upgraded the package w/ some other interaction to load pieces into FB1, and changed compression to zlib, and it still works fine.

FWIW.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

• Ok, ok, extracting the files and using them works.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, June 26, 2009 11:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, January 9, 2012 10:22 PM
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:10 PM

All replies

• I also received this same problem when sequencing Adobe Reader 9. Looking into the problem after attempting to launch the app, I witnessed a variety of errors in the System Log. They are as follows:

1.) SideBySide Error 59 Generate Activation Context failed for Q:\ADBRDR9.V1\Reader\AcroRd32.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.
    2.) SideBySide Error 33 The application failed to launch because of an invalid manifest.

3.) SideBySide Error None 58 Syntax error in manifest or policy file "Q:\ADBRDR9.V1\Reader\AcroRd32.dll.2.Config" on line 5.

4.) SideBySide Error None 52 N/A An application configuration manifest contains more than one dependentAssembly element for configuring the same assembly identity.

Here's the content of AcroRd32.dll.2.Config:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
      <windows>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
        <sxsBig SmileependentAssembly xmlnsTongue Tiedxs="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"><sxs:assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/><sxs:bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.0.41204.256-8.0.50608.0" newVersion="8.0.50727.762"/></sxsBig SmileependentAssembly><sxsBig SmileependentAssembly xmlnsTongue Tiedxs="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"><sxs:assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/><sxs:bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.0.41204.256-8.0.50608.0" newVersion="8.0.50727.762"/></sxsBig SmileependentAssembly></assemblyBinding>
      </windows>
    </configuration>

I just found out about this and haven't looked into it much more, but maybe there's a versioning issue going on here???

BTW... I followed your guidelines and Adobe Reader 9 now loads and launches correctly. Weird...

-SD

Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:13 PM
  • It could be that Reader 9 is installing some [quite common] assemblies to SxS cache which are then not removed from it during uninstall, making it so that when you then install again under Sequencer it doesn't register those DLLs again, in turn making Sequencer happier for some reason. Of course, this would also cause package to depend on finding those DLLs on the clients real SxS cache.

There has been [enough] issues with SoftGrid and SxS in the past so I wouldn't be surprised this is yet another of that nature..

/Kalle

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:54 PM
  • The reason why this works is because you are upgrading the Visual C Runtime environment on the sequencing machine when you install Reader for the first time. When you uninstall it, the runtime is not removed.

The reason why it doesn't work when you don't upgrade the VC environment first is because the current VC runtime environment is kept locked as it is being used by the sequencer itself.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:42 AM
  • I installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package seperate, rebooted the system and it doesn´t solve the problem.

So if it´s the update during the adobe setup why is it not stoping after I installed the VC seperate?

Reagrds

Thomas

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Ok, ok, extracting the files and using them works.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, June 26, 2009 11:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, January 9, 2012 10:22 PM
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:10 PM