none
Server takes over hour to boot up

Question

• Hello,

And SBS 2011 server takes over 1 hour to boot up.  It stays at the "Applying Settings message".  Otherwise the server is quick to logon, even remotely which is how I usually access it.

Thank you for any help.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

• Did you take the check mark off on IPv6 on your nic. I did that and it took 1 hr 10 mins to boot. Put the check back and everthing was ok.
    • Marked as answer by MarkASam Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:45 AM
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:24 PM

All replies

• How many nics in your server?
    What are they connected to?
    Where is DNS pointed?
    What is providing DHCP?

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Chris,

Edited:

There are 3 nics, but only one conencted to the switch.

As far as I know DHCP is not running.  We are using static ips.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Are the other 2 nics enabled?  (the correct answer should be that they are DISABLED)
    I meant DHCP on the LAN, not the internet connection, where do the workstations get their addresses from?

--
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Chris,

Sorry for the confusion.  The worstations have Static IP's assign to them.  They aren't assigned from DHCP.

I don't know how to tell if the other two nics are disabled, except that they do not allow me to get a network connection.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:39 PM
  • If you go to Control Panel > network and sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings
    You should see all three nics there and it should indicate if they are disabled or not

Why static IPs?
    Can you post an IPconfig /all from the server and from a workstation and indicate which is which

--

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:45 PM
  • There are two connections: Local Area connection:Disabled and Local Area Connection 2:Domain is listed.

Static Ip's because on our previous server we had some conflicts which were resolved.  I can't recall what they were.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I'd strongly recommend that you enable the DHCP Server on the SBS Server and configure workstations for DHCP.  Then run the Fix My Network wizard on the SBS Console

It would also still be helpful to see the output from running IPCONFIG /all on the server 

--

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:15 PM
  • I have three NICs active (different networks) on my SBS 2011 machine with no problems. How much hard drive space and RAM do you have?

The other question is, why are you shutting it down?

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Did you take the check mark off on IPv6 on your nic. I did that and it took 1 hr 10 mins to boot. Put the check back and everthing was ok.
    • Marked as answer by MarkASam Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:45 AM
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Ibanez,

I have ab out 5gb out of 100 available.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Jkidd,

It was unchecked.  I checked it and will reboot later when everyone is gone.  Thanks.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Mark - that'll fix the slow boot, but in my opinion you need to give some immediate attention to your small amount of free space.  I'm assuming you have a 100 GB C: partition and more storage in additional partition(s), in which case all you have to do is run the wizard to move something off of C.
    Dave Nickason - SBS MVP
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:16 PM
  • You're running on empty :(

How much RAM does you server have installed?

Do some maintenance and see if you can free up some disk space. Check the recycle bin. Run the Disk Cleanup tool. Check your mailbox database if you're running Exchange and see how much disk space is being used up there.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:21 PM
  • 64 GB of RAM.

I don't know about cleaning anything from the drive.  This is a new server.  I initially set it up for 150 GB then reduced it to 100, thinking it was plenty. 

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Dave, What can I move off of C:?
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Three NICs on an SBS would generally be an unsupported configuration, Unless you're talking about 3 nics on an HypeV host and just one assigned to the SBS Server.

Only a single nic connected to a router/firewall or some other device between the server and the internet.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:51 PM
  • Your page files are set to what drive? I hope something other than the boot drive.

If not, there's your problem IMO. You need at least 1-1/2 times your RAM for your page files. That would be your whole 100GB HD. You have nothing left.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:51 PM
  • http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/10/24/issues-after-disabling-ipv6-on-your-nic-on-sbs-2008.aspx

Holds true for SBS 2011 as well

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:56 PM
  • SBS 2011 which runs on  Windows Server 2008 R2 has a max memory limit of 32 GB of RAM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_server_2008_r2

As far as cleaning up your C drive

See this technet article

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527581(WS.10).aspx   Written for SBS 2008 but the wizards are the same in SBS 2011

Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:01 AM
  • I access resources on lots of customer networks, but certainly doesn't require extra NICs

Just understand if you were to have to contact MS Support for your network, the first thing they would have you do is disable the 2nd and 3rd NIC>

Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Yes he's fine with 32GB of RAM.  I've even seen computers with more RAM than the OS can use misbehave

I never suggested 5GB of free space on the C Drive was ok...I posted a link on how to clean it up

Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Remote Desktop Services/Remote Web Access
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:19 AM
  • The page files are set to C:\.  That is one reason why it is so low.  That is about 32gb.  Can I set them to D: or E:?
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Yes you can.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:30 AM
  • If you are talking to me, the 3 nics came with the server.  I didn't even know to ask for them and was confused when I first saw them, however our network guy explain them, even though I don't recall his reasons.
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:32 AM
  • If you are talking to me, the 3 nics came with the server.  I didn't even know to ask for them and was confused when I first saw them, however our network guy explain them, even though I don't recall his reasons.
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam

He was trying to convince me why I don't need 3 nics on my setup without knowing anything about my needs. SBS will disable the other nics when you run the connect to internet wizard.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:35 AM
  • @IbanezWiz

My concern is that while you may have very specific needs for your configuration, implying to other posters on this forum that having multiple nics may be acceptable as a supported configuration is misleading.

@MarkASam

Many of the large well known server providers are notorious for throwing in lots of extras because they don't know SBS.   Same with the over kill on the memory.

I would encourage you to remove all but 32 G of RAM

Clean up the C drive using the wizard I provided the link to

Turn on DHCP on the server and configure the workstations to use IP addresses from the SBS Server 

Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:45 AM
  • JKidd,

This resolved it.  Thanks again.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:45 AM
  • Chris,

I agree.  It was HP and I ordered the machine with SBS preinstalled thinking it would save time, but it caused more time and trouble than I would have imagined.  The 64 GB was the clients idea.  He wanted as much memory as he could get, even knowing the extra memory wouldn't be useful.  To HP"s credit, though, the rep did inform me of the max memory.  The client is my cousin, and I have learned to give him what he wants.  The extra cost really would mean nothing to him.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:50 AM
  • @IbanezWiz

My concern is that while you may have very specific needs for your configuration, implying to other posters on this forum that having multiple nics may be acceptable as a supported configuration is misleading.

Whoever said that it was supported? His problem was long boot time that turned out to be the unchecked IPv6. Whether or not he had 64GB of RAM and you had to point out that SBS only supports 32GB didn't change the fact that he had 5GB free on his hard drive and the page file set for his boot drive.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:51 AM
  • JKidd,

This resolved it.  Thanks again.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam

Cool!

Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:53 AM
  • There's a lot you can move - see this article:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766568(WS.10).aspx

I usually move the pagefile as soon as I need some free space - a habit from before the move data wizard, when the pagefile was the easiest and quickest thing to move.

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Dave, I don't understand how to move the pagefile.  Are you saying there is or was a move data wizard.  I couldn't find it.
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Running the wizard that Dave is suggesting will not move the page file

To run the wizard to move other items

Open the SBS Console

Click on the Backup and Server Storage Icon at the top

Then click on the Server Storage tab

On the right side under Storage Tasks

You'll see

Move Exchange Server Data

Move Sharepoint Foundation Data

Move Users' Shared Data

etc.

Click on each wizard, one at a time, and complete the moving of each set of data.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Dave, I don't understand how to move the pagefile.  Are you saying there is or was a move data wizard.  I couldn't find it.
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam

Try this link: http://www.shofkom.com/2010/04/15/moving-the-pagefile-to-another-drive-in-windows-server-2008/

Set your memory to: 49,152
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:40 AM
  • Cris,

I'll talk to the network guy the next time he comes here (he is a contractor from another town).  Why DHCP and not static ips?

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Now I hae 35 GB.  Thanks.
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 10:51 AM
  • DHCP is *always* the preferred option. The server then hands out precisely the right settings to each client.

My approach is this: If you need to access a device by IP address, give it a static. Otherwise, use DHCP and let it get an address for itself. So servers, routers, printers - give them static addresses. Everything else, use DHCP.

if you want to go one stage further, use DHCP for the printers but set up DCHP reservations for them.

Jim

Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Jim,

Thanks for your input.  We had problems using DHCP on our previous server, which is why we went to static ips.  I don't recall what they were, but they are gone now.  I also won't use network printers, because the list becomes a hugh mess, especially because we have several of the same model printer.  One printer will be listed multiple times, and if it is uninstalled, it remains on the list.  We use local shared printers which works fine.  We placed the workstations on a reserved list and it has worked for us. No related issues.  The server is working great now and i don't want to mess with that.  The only pending issue is that I am unable to add users through the SBS console.  I could add them though the Snap-In, but they won't display on the console list.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi Mark

As an aside, you can name the printers what you like. We have "Dell 2330 in Sales" and "Dell 2330 in Purchasing" for example, and that's what shows up, so there's no ambiguity. Local shared printers is a kludge in my view, everyone has to leave their PCs running and it's a pain if somebody replaces a PC.

You can add the users manually via Active Directory (start, run, dsa.msc) and then run the utilities to bring them into the console:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/22/why-are-some-of-my-users-not-displaying-in-the-sbs-console.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527487%28WS.10%29.aspx (2008, but still works with 2011 I believe)

Jim

Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Jim,

The problem with the network printers was that along with the printer names it was also displaying listings with the ip addresses.  If I recall sometimes the ip address would display and not the printer names. We have always had goofy printer issues here.  I don't even want to get into that...lol.

Thank you for the other info concerning the users.  I'll check into it a little later.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Chris,

I just recalled one reason we are using static ip.  We installed Real VNC on our system to monitor and control machines remotely.  It makes it easier to recognize a particular machine when the ip is known, so we can set up an address book with the user's names.  I hadn't used it in a while so it slipped my mind.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Friday, August 05, 2011 6:43 PM
  • But with SBS 2011, you have Remote Web Access, which give you access to the server  and each workstation and works fine with DHCP enabled

--

Friday, August 05, 2011 6:54 PM
  • That is another thing I need to figure out, how to initiate Remote Web Access.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Friday, August 05, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Chris,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just tried Remote Web Access, and it is simply a version of Remote Desktop Connection.  RDC from my experience, kicks off the current user.  Real VNC is different in that the current user stays logged on.  If I connect with Real VNC, I can monitor a workstation without the user's knowledge or I can take over his session, but he stays on.

God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Friday, August 05, 2011 8:34 PM
  • RWA does in behave like Remote Desktop
    but you also have Remote Assistance which allows the user to remain logged on

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but unless it's my company and they are my employee's and they understand I can shadow their sessions without them knowing...and if I have to do that, they probably aren't the people I want working for me to begin with....off my soap box now

--

Friday, August 05, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Presumably the user would either be working locally, or they would log out, go home, and log in remotely.  Also, in Win 7, if I have a session logged in and then I connect remotely, it just joins me to the existing session.  So for example, if I accidentally leave a bunch of apps open, unsaved work, etc. then log in from home, no harm is done - it's not like the XP days where remote access terminates the running session.
    Dave Nickason - SBS MVP
    Friday, August 05, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I agree with you, but it isn't my concern.  This is my cousin's business.  I am an Access Developer and a contractor at that, but he wants me to do other things.  As long as he pays, and he does, I'll give him what he wants.  I am only concerned that the system is working well and securely.  As far as his business decisions, he has to make those.  If he doesn't trust his people, that's his concern.  People could be doing their job, but there is also a temptation to wander, going to site which waste time or are inappropriate. 
    God Bless, Mark A. Sam
    Friday, August 05, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Sam:

If you are going to be involved in supporting an SBS server/network you really need to purchase and read one of the many books on the subject.  I can recommend either of the books by the MVPs, Charlie Russel or Eriq Neal.  An Amazon search will turn up those and others, but help yourself, your client, and us by getting some information about the subject, or hire a consultant to manage this network.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:18 AM