none
New User Folder Redirection Not Working

Question

• I have Windows Server 2008 R2 with Windows 7 PRO clients. I created a new user in the Active Directory (actually copied from an existing user). The new user is unable to access the network folder where folder re-direction is pointed. The Group Policy shows applied (gpresult /V), but the user's folder on the server is not created (\\server\HomeDirs\%UserName%). I have checked the permissions on the HomeDirs folder and by running the "Effective Permissions" for the user. It shows that they have all the permissions that they need. In fact, they have full control. However, when trying to navigate to the folder through Windows File Explorer, a warning says that the user does not have permissions to the folder. 

I think the reason the folder re-direction is not working may be the permissions on the HomeDirs folder. Anyone have any ideas?

JKS

Sunday, May 3, 2015 12:58 AM

All replies

• > but the user's folder on the server is not created
    > (\\server\HomeDirs\%UserName%).

Home directories never were auto-created. You MUST create them manually
    (or by a provisioning mechanism).

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Monday, May 4, 2015 9:25 AM
  • Thanks, Martin for the reply. I understand that and probably should have mentioned that I manually created the user's home directory and gave it the same permissions as other older user whose folder re-direction works fine. I have also checked the effective permissions for that user folder and the report shows that the user has full control.  But, for some reason for this particular user, the redirected folders don't create inside the user's home directory won't populate. I have tried logging on and off as the new user several time, because that is supposed create the sub-folders.

I also notice that when using file explorer to navigate to the server, under the user's login, I can see the HomeDir, but when trying to drill down into it, I get the "not authorized" message. It almost appears like the folder re-direction can't create the folders because the user is not able to access the user's home directory. 

I have checked gpresult on the local machine and it reports that the folder re-direction policy has been applied for the user, but the My Documents folder is still on the local machine.

JKS

Monday, May 4, 2015 11:29 AM
  • > under the user's login, I can see the HomeDir, but when trying to drill
    > down into it, I get the "not authorized" message.

It is either a share level permission issue or (rather) an NTFS level
    permission issue. Double check :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Monday, May 4, 2015 12:51 PM
  • That's what I thought also, so I compared the user permissions to a user that is working. All are exactly the same.

Maybe I will put the new user in the Administrator's group to see if the sub-folders will create, then take them back out of the administrator's group and see if they can still access the folders.. 

JKS

Monday, May 4, 2015 1:03 PM
  • I just put the new user in the Administrators group. Then logged back on as the user. Unable to access the HomeDirs folder. I was able to access all other shared or mapped folders. 

So, I tried to give the new user individual permissions to the HomeDirs folder (create/append folders, list, etc). Still not able to access.

This is strange behavior to me as I have not had problems adding new users in the past. I also have the HomeDirs folder set so that Everyone has full control permissions. Maybe this is not the best, but it has been working for this small office.  

So, with the new user in the Everyone group, they should have the ability to add folders. The new user also has full control over the %UserName% folder that I created under HomeDirs. I am baffled.

JKS

Monday, May 4, 2015 1:23 PM