A keyboard shortcut? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

I am curious to know if there is a keyboard shortcut like ALT + TAB that cycles through the windows of the active application only, similar to what Mac has with COMMAND + ` .

Windows 7 is looking pretty good, since Apple decided my dual 2.0Ghz G5 is too old to run Snow Leopard I'm 99% sure I'm switching to a Win7 machine early next year!. Anyway, that was unrelated, just had to rant about that.

Thanks.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:01 AM

Answers

• itsn8o,

As you're probably aware, you can use Ctrl+Tab within virtually all applications which used tabbed instances (e.g. web browsers), but there is currently no Windows keyboard shortcut to switch between only the open windows of a single application. I'd recommend posting this to our comments thread to increase its chances of being seen and considered by the dev team.
    -Alex
    • Proposed as answer by Time Sheep Monday, June 15, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark L. Ferguson Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:05 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:21 PM

All replies

• Point at the application on the taskbar, and slide the pointer across the instances of the app. You will get a Preview of the windows, and can click to select.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Thanks, but is there no keyboard shortcut?
    I use multiple instances of Word and Excel and it becomes a pain if I have to go to mouse each time.
    If I have nothing but work or excel open, no worries, I can just alt tab or windows tab... but sometimes I have firefox running and itunes also.

A keyboard shortcut would be ideal.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:16 PM
  • itsn8o,

As you're probably aware, you can use Ctrl+Tab within virtually all applications which used tabbed instances (e.g. web browsers), but there is currently no Windows keyboard shortcut to switch between only the open windows of a single application. I'd recommend posting this to our comments thread to increase its chances of being seen and considered by the dev team.
    -Alex
    • Proposed as answer by Time Sheep Monday, June 15, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark L. Ferguson Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:05 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:21 PM