Virus Software for Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Which virus software will work with Windows 7 RC
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• I use Norton Internet Seccurity 2009 - worked fine on 7000 and works fine with RC - Zero Issues
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:50 AM
  • I've installed the free Avast software, it works fine.

Dave
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:41 PM
  • I use norton 360.  It worked on the 7000 build, but the heuristics driver has been disabled on the RC.  Hopefully they [norton] will fix this soon.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Symantec Corporate 10 for Vista.  Installs fine, though Windows 7 reports that Symantec is not reporting it's current status correctly and causes Action Center to raise a flag/notice.  At home, this causes WHS to report the workstation's antivirus is working incorrectly (which is annoying as ^$*^ as all computers on the WHS get the message).
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Eset Smart Security 4 works quite well as an antivirus, also has a firewall you can set for interactive mode (I suggest it to check for unwanted programs phoning home), and a phishing/spam/malware filter that runs faster than Windows Defender.  Also, the suite does not deliver any problem reports to Windows Action Center, unlike some of the AV software recommended for Win 7.
    • Proposed as answer by gjsba Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:22 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:22 AM
  • I am trying the win 7 rc , and I like it so far. I found that AVG 8.5 work well on it. Ad-Aware and spyblaster does also, spy-bot 1.6.2 and Zone alarm do not work at all. It's a big jump from xp's, but it looks good. I installed it on a machine I built, amd 2.4ghz cpu, 2gigs ddr2 ramm, no vid card as of yet.

I burned an image to dvd, and just opened it to do the install, did not change any bios to boot differently. Backed up every thing first. I might buy this o/s when it comes to retail.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:27 PM
  • PC-tools antiVirus  works   ok    it's  free   seems  reliable so far
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:51 PM
  • i've tested windows 7 rc1 with sophos anti-virus.
    i've only 1 error:

virus found in file: c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys

This happens while using the resource monitor on the network-tab.
    is this an bug in Sophos or is the file i8042prt.sys containing any wrong code?

Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Sophos is well-known for reporting false-positives.  As long as you downloaded your copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft, you should be fine.  Check outbound connections for malicious/suspicious activity to be sure though.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Here is a list of anti-virus software confirmed to work with Windows 7 RC.

- Nick
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, May 25, 2009 11:03 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Hello,

I have installed Trend from the link you provided and it works great, but after some reboots Action Center reports no Anti-virus is working. If finds the app but doesn't...

[Main Instruction]
    Do you want to run this program?
    You should only run programs that come from publishers you trust.

[Content]
    Publisher: Trend Micro, Inc.
    Program:
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfFnWSC.exe

[ ] Don't show me this again.  [Yes, I trust the publisher and want to run this program] [No, I would like to verify the identity of the publisher before running this program] [Cancel]

When I hit Yes nothing changes. What should I do?

BTW, both 7 and Trend are up to date.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Hallo i missed Forfront on the List, is Forfront not supportet
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:07 PM
  • I use ESET Antivirus Ver 4 in win 7 RC with no problems
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:07 PM
  • In this moment i´m using nod32 (ess 4.0- suite), by self experience norton and kaspersky 2009 do not work in W7 beta. Norton (beta) and Kaspersky 2010 work on W7 Beta.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Why posting pictures Mr.Drew?
    anyways i recommend MSE its the most effective atm IMO...
    try that and tell me later!
    RR
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Which virus software will work with Windows 7 RC

I am using Kaspersky, and it is working well.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:04 AM