search by file type? RRS feed

• Question

• How would I search all .jpg's with the name foo in it for example?

thanks
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hello mythosmc,

Search for all jpg: *.jpg
    Search for all jpg that begin with foo: foo*.jpg
    Search for all jpg that contain foo anywhere in the file name: *foo*.jpg

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:18 AM
    • Edited by Tarek Ayna Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:19 AM spelling error
    • Marked as answer by mythosmc Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:32 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hello mythosmc,

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:18 AM
    • Edited by Tarek Ayna Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:19 AM spelling error
    • Marked as answer by mythosmc Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:32 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hello mythosmc,

Thanks,
    Tarek

ahhh thank you very much, this is exactly what i was looking for

*foo*.jpg

Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:33 AM
  • To be most accurate, if you're looking for a filename only, make your search with the prefix filename: so that it won't search the text inside files.

So, to fully specify a filename search use:  filename:*foo*.jpg

For just an extension, this works:  ext:jpg

-Noel

Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Sorry to open old question, but how would I search for *.ps files in Windows 7 search from a folder and all its sub-folders?

I have a lot pf *.ps files (intermediate Postscript files printed from DTP software to be distilled into PDF files) and a lot of *.psd (Photoshop images) in same folders. I wish to get rid of all *.ps files. Searching with *.ps will bring also the *.psd files that I of course do not wish to delete. To my understanding *.psd files should not be found with *.ps -- to search both I would assume only *.ps* or *.ps? to show them both. Replacing *.ps with "*.ps" will show only *.ps files, but not from subfolders. Custom settings will not help, as there is only possibility to select the folder to search for but no option to say search sub folders also.

The only way round is to use DOS commands and cmd.exe -- I still need DOS after so many years...

pekka

• Edited by -PSi- Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:29 AM added sub-foilder and search phrase in quotes
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:10 AM
  • I described it above.

• Open Explorer.
    • Navigate into the parent folder. 
    • Enter ext:ps in the search box.

This will search the current folder and all subfolders for files with extension .ps, and list the results.  You may have to use Details view and widen the window to see the folders listed. 

If it does not it's not working as designed and may have some kind of problem, such as a corrupted index.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:39 PM
  • And again:

ext:ps will list both *.ps and *.psd files -- i.e. no good!

Again, I have to type ext:"ps"

I wonder why the indexing thing is actually needed, or used, if I just select to search for with file extension? I use old DTP software to create those *.ps files, and for some odd reason it seems that files so created do not get indexed/listed in search... Today I removed and re-created indexes on my D: drive, tested and got only one *.ps file with Explorer's search, but with CMD.EXE:

dir *.ps /S 

I found five -- and in fraction of a second from within 5 861 files in 210 folders. I still cannot find all *.ps files with Explorer. I even went to a folder that actually contains *.ps and *.psd files, but no -- only psd files are found. The only ps file I get found is the one I renamed from a txt file.

Just imagine: I would have insensitive and sensitive files in my folder tree. Before copying the folder structure to someone else (a client or...) I would first make sure all sensitive files are erased. If Explorer is unable to find those sensitive files for me to delete -- like it is incapable of searching my *.ps files --  I might get into trouble -- no?

The only possible way I have done something wrong is that I have succeded in creating some sort of rule of extra filter to Explorer's search that would last from session to session. If this is possible, is there a way to make a factory reset to all Explorer search functions?

pekka

• Proposed as answer by -PSi- Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:53 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Just put quotes around it then.

ext:"ps"

But I agree, using Windows Search isn't a very good way of doing it.

Personally I like the GUI shell extension grepWin.  Right-click on a folder, choose grepWin, fill out the (admittedly geeky) dialog, and quickly find things.  Search for text inside files, search for file names, complex combinations, etc. etc.  It will even tell you explicitly when it can't open a file to search in it, so you don't chance missing results without knowing.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by -PSi- Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:09 AM
  • ...and today I finally found the correct answer for files not found with Explorer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976786/en

Running the fix corrected the "no-show" problem -- even though the "fix" said there was nothing to repair, just to reset -- what -- I don't know...

In general it is a good plan to keep in mind that whatever one is searching for with Exporer, the search string is always littered with wildcards all-over, unless one uses the double quotes!

pekka

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:00 PM