Installing Roles/Features results in blank error RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 servers now that are running Server 2016, both standard and datacenter editions.

On all servers when I try to install any Roles or Features, immediately after clicking Install, the installation progress shows an error symbol, but never present any sort of error message to help troubleshoot what the issue is.

I've checked event viewer but cannot find anything. Ive tried to locate ServerManager.Log but it is not generated anywhere i can find. 

If i could find SOME sort of error i could try to track down the cause but as of now i have nothing to go on. 

If I install the role/feature using powershell it installs successfully without error

Update: If the server has not yet been joined to the domain the installation goes fine. I am a domain admin and have tried installing using the local admin account and the installation is successful. It appears to be permissions related but i cannot find any denies.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Update 2: 
    I do get a powershell warning whenever I try to install a feature:

Settings: The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Workflow.PSWorkflowJob": The member PropertySerializationSet is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Workflow.PSWorkflowJob": The member SerializationMethod is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Workflow.PSWorkflowJob": The member State is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScript": The member PropertySerializationSet is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScript": The member SerializationMethod is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScript": The member SerializationDepth is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScriptContext": The member SerializationDepth is already present.

Details: 
    ExceptionClass=RuntimeException
    ErrorCategory=NotSpecified
    ErrorId=ErrorsUpdatingTypes
    ErrorMessage=The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Workflow.PSWorkflowJob": The member PropertySerializationSet is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Workflow.PSWorkflowJob": The member SerializationMethod is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Workflow.PSWorkflowJob": The member State is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScript": The member PropertySerializationSet is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScript": The member SerializationMethod is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScript": The member SerializationDepth is already present.
    Error in TypeData "Microsoft.PowerShell.Activities.InlineScriptContext": The member SerializationDepth is already present.

Severity=Warning

SequenceNumber=25

HostName=ServerRemoteHost
    HostVersion=1.0.0.0
    HostId=6d5d54a4-469f-4158-9a23-e041a46fcfab
    HostApplication=C:\Windows\system32\wsmprovhost.exe -Embedding
    EngineVersion=5.1.14393.206
    RunspaceId=3b8a023e-69dc-4ac0-b841-286eb9f398af
    PipelineId=11
    CommandName=
    CommandType=
    ScriptName=
    CommandPath=
    CommandLine=

AdditionalInfo:
    Name=;Value=
    Name=;Value=
    Name=;Value=

• Edited by ServerGuy01 Monday, October 31, 2016 7:11 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 5:16 PM

Answers

• I found something new out today. A group policy is causing this issue. The policy is folder redirection for the documents folder. It is located in User Configuration - Folder Redirection - Documents, we redirect everyone's My Documents folder to a SAN location using the Redirect to the user's home directory. Searching the registry of the Windows Server 2016 server I found that if I change a User Shell Folder called Personal back to c:\users\username then reopen Server Manager I am able to install rolls and features. The User Shell Folder registry setting is located at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal

I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the group policy to correct this. Deleting the local profile of the domain account does not correct this.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

> If the server has not yet been joined to the domain the installation goes fine.

> I am a domain admin and have tried installing using the local admin account and the installation is successful

So the problem only happens to domain admin account? Since you must have Administrator rights on that server. You need to be logged on to a server as an administrator to install or uninstall roles, role services, and features. If you are logged on to the local computer with an account that does not have administrator rights on your target server, right-click the target server in the Servers tile, and then click Manage As to provide an account that has administrator rights.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831809(v=ws.11).aspx

Please check the domain admin account has administrator rights on your target server, or also try to disable UAC to have a check?

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Domain admins is part of the administrators group, ive also tried to add my user directly to the group in case nested groups was causing an issue. 

I also disabled UAC through the local GPO but with the same result.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

That's strange. For now I couldn't find other special permission to install Roles/Features.

Based on your testing it's more like to be the permission problem. Maybe for now you could only try to install with local administrator.

I am still trying to search some related information both in website and our internal database about this and will keep you posted if there is any useful information.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:31 AM
  • I have this issue also. While logged in with a local account that is an Administrator I am able to install roles and features using Server Manager. While logged in with a domain account that is a member of the local administrators group I am unable to install using Server Manager, I can however install using Install-WindowsFeature using PowerShell. I am also able to install features using the Server Manager on a Windows 2012 R2 server as a remote installation but not a 2016 server as a remote installation. There has to be some group policy permission that allows installs on Windows Server 2012 that acts differently with Windows Server 2016 when it comes to domain account installations.
    Monday, November 28, 2016 8:33 PM
  • I found something new out today. A group policy is causing this issue. The policy is folder redirection for the documents folder. It is located in User Configuration - Folder Redirection - Documents, we redirect everyone's My Documents folder to a SAN location using the Redirect to the user's home directory. Searching the registry of the Windows Server 2016 server I found that if I change a User Shell Folder called Personal back to c:\users\username then reopen Server Manager I am able to install rolls and features. The User Shell Folder registry setting is located at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal

I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the group policy to correct this. Deleting the local profile of the domain account does not correct this.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Hey Aaron this solved the problem for me too. same setup, folder redirection to server for personal. 

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:16 AM
  • Something to note, I created a group policy to change this setting and used a WMI filter for Windows Server 2016. Turns out that Windows 2016 and Windows 10 use the same WMI product code. So my Windows 10 users are getting this setting also. Not sure if that will be a problem yet. The group policy has to be high enough in the chain to so the logged in user gets the registry change because its a user registry setting.
    Monday, February 27, 2017 1:22 AM