2x Server 2003 with Exch. 2007 SP1 as Hub & CAS roles with NLB - Getting NetBT 4319 errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a Network Load Balanced pair of servers running Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 SP2 with Exchange 2007 SP1 running Hub and CAS roles.

There is a LAN NIC and an NLB NIC on each server.

They are both getting NetBT event ID 4319

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NetBT
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4319
    Date:  8/13/2014
    Time:  8:53:32 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network.  The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

nbtstat -n does not show a conflict.

Advice on several tech sites was that this is very common for Server 2003 NLB servers. And to either ignore it or unbind 'File and Printer Sharing for Networks' on the NICs. I understand that from 2007 SP1 the recommendation is to leave this bound as it is for remote delivery of logs. This is stated here near the bottomof HTTP:  technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2009.09.exchangeqa.aspx

We do not have replication of logs configured for Exchange. So, is there anything else that anyone is aware of that this might cause an issue with for Exchange if it is unbound? Baring in mind this is just the Hub transport and CAS roles.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:11 AM

Answers

• You can remove that from the NIC used for the NLB network. That should stop the duplicate name warning.

If I'm reading the same spot in that link you provided (below "Figure 3"), it's about servers that are running the MB role in a CCR setup. You're asking about a CAS/HT machine on which there is no log file replication because there's no mailbox database on machines that run only those roles.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:21 PM

All replies

• This has nothing to do with Exchange. It's a problem with either WINS (maybe a static mapping?) or perhaps you have the WINS client bound to both NICs.

In any case, you should ask this question in a forum for the O/S.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Hi,

WINS is not in use on the network and no WINS servers are set on either of NICs.

The question is about any Exchange 2007 SP1 dependency on  'File and Printer Sharing for Networks' being bound to the NICs. This most definitely is to do with Exchange.

I have already been through other forums and found that that is said to be a resolution but I need to know how this would affect Exchange.

Regards,

Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:17 AM
  • You can remove that from the NIC used for the NLB network. That should stop the duplicate name warning.

If I'm reading the same spot in that link you provided (below "Figure 3"), it's about servers that are running the MB role in a CCR setup. You're asking about a CAS/HT machine on which there is no log file replication because there's no mailbox database on machines that run only those roles.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:21 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Friday, August 15, 2014 12:33 PM