none
Connection to the DPM service has been lost id 917 RRS feed

• Question

• Today upgraded my DPM 2012 Sp1 to DPM 2012 R2 and upgrade went well, no issues found. agents also updated well, no issues. While i am doing consistency check on server i am getting below mentioned error and DPM 2012 R2 admin console closing immediately. Installed DPM 2012 R2 rollup 2 on the server.
    Connection to the DPM service has been lost.
    Review the application event log for information about a possible service shutdown. Verify that the following services are not disabled:
                DPM
                DPM Replication Agent
                SQLAgent$MSDPM2012
                MSSQL$MSDPM2012
                Virtual Disk Service
                Volume Shadow Copy
    ID: 917 and event logs few errors found i.e. event id 999, 0

Error details:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSDPM
    Date:          7/5/2014 1:37:08 PM
    Event ID:      999
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'msdpm'.  Restart the DPM process 'msdpm'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>522</Seq><TimeCreated>7/5/2014 5:37:08 PM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>InvalidOperationException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>There is an error in XML document (24, 7).</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (24, 7). ---&gt; System.InvalidOperationException: Instance validation error: 'FullBackup' is not a valid value for VssBackupModeType.
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderIMCatalogType.Read24_VssBackupModeType(String s)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderIMCatalogType.Read26_DataSourceType(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderIMCatalogType.Read57_IMCatalogType(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderIMCatalogType.Read58_se_x0020_IMCatalog()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EngineUICommon.XmlUtils.ReadIMCatalog(String imCatalogXml)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.IntentCatalogHelper.GetBackupAndCCWindow(SqlContext ctx, Guid datasourceId)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.PrmCatalog.GetBackupAndCCWindow(Guid datasourceId)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.ProtectionRecoveryTaskExecutor.GetBackupTypeTaskXml(Guid verbId, Guid jobId, TaskDefType taskDef, Guid taskId)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.ProtectionRecoveryTaskExecutor.GenerateWorkplan(Guid jobId, WorkPlanFlags flags, TaskDefType taskDef, String jobDef, Guid taskId, Boolean&amp; isSerial)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.TaskExecutor.GenerateWorkplan(Guid jobID, Guid taskID, String jobDef, String taskDef, WorkPlanFlags flags, GenerateWorkplanCallback callback)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.JobManager.ActiveJob.DispatchRequestCallback(Object state)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EngineUICommon.DpmThreadPool.Function(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Please help to resolve this error?

Sri

Saturday, July 5, 2014 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

please look into this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed55fdd5-4981-459f-9b0a-7da72cf01f3c/. You'll find solution from Mike Jacquet there.

http://about.me/exchange12rocks

Saturday, July 5, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Thank you, i will check and update you all.
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 5:33 AM
  • I followed your given link but solution is not worked out. i updated the SQL query, but issue same.

Still i am getting the 'connection to DPM server has been lost ' with event id: 917, also event id 999,997' errors in the event-viewer.

any help appreciated.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:43 AM