none
Preservation hold library in sharepoint online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can some please explain the following to me.

1. How can I restore a document from this library into the original library the document has deleted from.

2. Who can access this library, Site Owners or Members or Visitors 

3. Why it is creating three copied of the same document that I have deleted and what is the meaning of all numbers and letters suffix as shown the image below.

FYI- I have first deleted from the document library and then deleted from the recycle bin

4. Also, can you tell me how long the document will stay in the site recycle bin before it moves to the Preservation hold library?

Thanks.

d.n weerasinghe

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can refer to the following explanations that I have given you separately:

1. We can access the Site contents-> Preservation Hold Library to recover the files.
    2. Preservation Hold library because is only visible to site collection owners.
    3. Any content added to the site after the retention policy was put into effect will be preserved after deletion. Changes on new content aren’t copied to the Preservation Hold library the first time it’s edited, only when it’s deleted. (Unless you have versioning turned on)
      Reference: 
      https://joannecklein.com/2017/05/11/retention-in-o365-the-new-way/

You can also refer to this picture below:

4. After a retention policy is assigned to a SharePoint site, content can follow one of two paths:

Ⅰ: If the content is modified or deleted during the retention period, a copy of the original content as it existed when the retention policy was assigned is created in the Preservation Hold library. 

These items are permanently deleted within seven days of the end of the retention period.

Ⅱ:If the content is not modified or deleted during the retention period, it’s moved to the first-stage Recycle Bin at the end of the retention period. If a user deletes the content from there or empties this Recycle Bin (also known as purging), the document is moved to the second-stage Recycle Bin. A 93-day retention period spans both the first- and second-stage recycle bins.

Reference: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/overview-of-retention-policies-5e377752-700d-4870-9b6d-12bfc12d2423#how

You can also refer to this picture below:

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, August 10, 2018 3:39 AM