Project Server 2010 - SharePoint Full Farm Restore RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have been attempting to test the SharePoint Full Farm Restore process in a Virtual environment via SharePoint 2010 Central Administration. I created a SharePoint Full Farm Backup and then attempted to run the SharePoint Full Farm Restore in the same environment, for testing purposes. The steps I took were:

    1.  Deleted the Provisioned PWA site.

    2.  Delected all of the Services except the Application Discovery Load Balanacer Application and Security Token Service Application.

    3.  Deleted the following databases via SQL Server 2008, R2 Management Studio.







    4.  Ran the Full Farm Restore process.

    I deleted all of the Services via Central Admin because a previous restore effort prompted me with error messages saying that they already exisited.

    The SharePoint Full Farm Restore ran through fine with no errors and two warnings about the SPS_Content_PWA and WSS_Content ID's already being used.

    Then, when I attempted to access PWA, (even though it appreared as being Provisioned), I received an error and PWA was not displayed.

    Does anyone know the correct process to get a SharePoint Full Farm Restore process to work?

    I'm trying to write up a Disacter Recovery document and cover all the possible options for restoring from the Disaster Recovery incident, so I already have the SQL Server 2008 DB restore process documented (5 DB option).

    But I thought that a SharePoint Full Farm Backup was a valid option for DR. However, I can't even get it to restore to the exact same environment.

    Any help would be very much appreciated.



    Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:26 PM

All replies

  • Hello wwalkerbout,

    I would google and find a disaster recovery plan for SharePoint first.  If you get this process documented then you project server will be included.

    In your scenario, you didn't backup your SharePoint Configuration databases and the Service databases.  When you deleted the services from Central admin, you basically killed your recovery plan.  Those service settings are in the other databases and were not restored.


    Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Hi Michael,

    Thank you for responding to my posting.

    I guess I didn't explain the steps I did very well. The Full Farm Backup I originally ran was done before I did anything mentioned in my posted description. So I did have a Full Farm Backup with all components included. I'm running this in a Virtual DevTest environment anyway, so I can always step back to a version that is clean and re-run the backup process if need be.

    It wasn't until I tried to run the restore process that I started doing things like deleting the Services. And that was after just running the full restore without changing anything in the original environment. That's when it started complaining about databases and services already being present. So I progressively removed things until I got the full restore to work, but with the warnings about the SPS_Content_PWA and WSS_Content ID's already being used.

    I did quite a bit of searching on the SharePoint backup and restore process and what I came across suggested just running the restore process. But I haven't been able to get that to work.

    Any other suggestions would be most welcomed.





    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:36 AM
  • It is my understanding that you cannot do a full farm restore to the same exact environment.  The expectation is that you are in a "disaster" recovery.

    If you do a full farm restore, you have to "prepare" the servers beforehand.  Typically, that would include working on new servers, with a new/fresh farm.

    once you have at least a fresh farm (read - new config db), then a full restore can be done to that farm, which will restore (transform) it to the original state.

    let us know how it goes.

    Thanks, Eric S.

    Friday, February 17, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Hi Eric,

    This queston was posted a long time ago, so I had forgotten all about this scenario. In the meatime, I think I was able to do a restore using a SharePoint backup (exactly as you mentioned), to a fresh environment created from scratch. So that seems to prove out your comments.

    Thanks for taking the time out to respond to my question.



    Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:14 AM