WDS on Server 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to setup WDS on Server2012R2 and am having trouble with the PXE boot response from the server.  My infrastructure is as follows - WDS on Server2012R2 is a virtual domain integrated server with no other roles or jobs, DHCP server on another server, we have vlan environment with HP2920 switches in a stack handling layer 2 networking, several different models of HP laptops (which I'm trying to setup for imaging on this new WDS server).  When I PXE boot the laptops I get the PXE-E53: No Boot filename received.  The WDS server debug logs show the MAC of the laptop communicating with the server but recurring Event ID 32769 information events showing the following -  [WDSServer/WDSPXE/WDSDCPXE] Client ignored - Seconds Since Boot=8, Response Delay=15.  The WDS Verbose event ID 24581 shows the following - [WDSServer/WDSPXE][WDSDCPXE] Reply Sent - Request:0.0.0.0:68 Dst:255.255.255.255:68 Len:280.  

It seems like the server and the clients are not establishing communication.  Based on WDS documentation I have not configured DHCP scope options (66 & 67) although I have tried that previously to try to manually connect PXE boot clients and this has failed as well.  Any ideas?

Monday, August 10, 2015 5:19 PM

Answers

• I'm replying to my own post with the hope that this helps someone else with this WDS/PXE problem.  No DHCP scope option changes were necessary.  It turns out that the BIOS of my Hyper-V host (Dell R710s) have a PXE setting that must be configured so that the host will pass PXE requests on to the guests.  Once that was figured out everything start to work according to the "text book".  I can't believe that this hasn't been posted before as a suggestion to troubleshooting PXE problems so here is my post.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:11 PM

All replies

• I'm replying to my own post with the hope that this helps someone else with this WDS/PXE problem.  No DHCP scope option changes were necessary.  It turns out that the BIOS of my Hyper-V host (Dell R710s) have a PXE setting that must be configured so that the host will pass PXE requests on to the guests.  Once that was figured out everything start to work according to the "text book".  I can't believe that this hasn't been posted before as a suggestion to troubleshooting PXE problems so here is my post.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and thanks for the feedback!

Your time and efforts is highly appreciated!

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:07 AM