none
Hybrid Users and SharePoint Online

Question

• I have a hybrid setup for Active Directory users in O365 and I want to give one of these users the 'SharePoint Online' permission. I select the user to have access to SharePoint Online, but the hybrid configuration seems to be causing some interference. I get messages telling me the account cannot log into O365; I would assume it's because I have not given the account a full O365 license.

I made a cloud user to test this with, but a cloud user isn't going to work for what I need it for. Is there any way to get a hybrid user working with only the SharePoint Online permission or will I need to provide them with a full O365 license?

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:33 PM

Answers

• Turns out that it was an account issue, not an O365 issue. I had the sync settings incorrect on this account and after fixing that I was able to log in.

Thanks for the assistance!

Monday, May 1, 2017 3:54 PM

All replies

• You need both SharePoint Permissions (i.e. I as an Admin say it's ok for you to see the Company Intranet) and a SharePoint License (i.e. I as an Admin have paid Microsoft a licensing fee so that you can use Office 365).

I suspect you'll have to get this person a license, unless there's something I've missed (or they are an external user, which doesn't sound correct here).

Sunday, April 30, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Hi Alex,

So, the Hybrid user does have the SharePoint permissions as well as the SharePoint License. In the Administrator account of O365, the user is listed as SharePoint Online (Plan 2), yet still cannot login to SharePoint Online. My assumption here is that it is because it is a hybrid account. As I said in the original post, a cloud user works no problem.

Monday, May 1, 2017 2:36 PM
  • Just to confirm are we having an authentication or an authorisation issue? Re-reading your initial post it implies that the user can't authenticate. Which means that the SharePoint license and permissions are more-or-less irrelevant.
    Monday, May 1, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Turns out that it was an account issue, not an O365 issue. I had the sync settings incorrect on this account and after fixing that I was able to log in.

Thanks for the assistance!

Monday, May 1, 2017 3:54 PM