none
Updated tasks in Sharepoint not being applied to Master schedule, only individual project plan RRS feed

• Question

• We have a master project in project 2013 and we want to have those tasks displayed/pushed into sharepoint 2013. If someone makes updates to those tasks via Sharepoint, we want those updates to appear in the master. When we are testing it, it isn't applying the updates to the master. But it does apply the updates to the individual file if I open it separately. Is there a way to have it update the master as well??
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:50 PM

All replies

• lilbit924,

If it is a dynamic master, which is the default when you create a master, the data in the master will be updated because what you see at master level is really the subproject files. You may have to expand the master for the data to update, but you will not have to separately update the master.

However, if you created a static master (i.e. unchecked the :link to project" option when you created the master), then the only way to update the master is to create a new one. A static master is simply a snapshot of each of the subproject at the time the master is created. There is no linking, hence no updating.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Im having the same issue and the "link to project" checkbox was marked when I inserted the subproject into the Master file.   I expanded the master file when updated the subproject and the changes did not occur.  The changes worked locally but not when I downloaded the files from the sharepoint site.

Friday, May 15, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Linda,

I don't work with SharePoint but my understanding is that it is a web based server for enterprise collaboration. That's great for most things but when it comes to linked structures in Project, I'd be very leery. Why? Because linked structures in Project are very fragile and can easily become corrupt. Cardinal rules when working with linked structures in Project are never to rename, move, overwrite, or "save off" any of the files to a different location. Also, it is not a good idea to operate linked Project structures over a network. In my view, limited as it may be when talking about SharePoint, sharing linked Project files via SharePoint goes against some of the cardinal rules stated above, although I do recall forum posts in the past wherein users claim to have good success with linked Project structures on SharePoint.

Perhaps the issue you are having has more to do with trying to update the structure locally and on SharePoint. I would limit editing of linked Project structures to either your local drive OR SharePoint, but not both.

That's my assessment, perhaps someone else with SharePoint experience will jump and comment.

John

Friday, May 15, 2015 3:53 PM