Messages not appearing in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our spam filter provider sends a digest email each morning listing all spam filtered since the previous day.  One of my managers is not receiving this digest even though the filter provider's logs show the message was delivered and I have found in the Exchange troubleshooter where the message was received and delivered to the message store.

The user does not have any rules for filtering email and we checked his inbox and deleted messages folder but no sign of this digest.

How can I troubleshoot this?  From what I can tell the only way to see into the Exchange data store is using something like Outlook, if there is a tool that will let me browse the store natively I'd love to find it.  And my understanding is that Outlook just displays the messages it finds.  So how do I approach solving this problem?

We are running Exchange 2007, just a single server, and Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 Pro desktops.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:39 PM

Answers

• Have you had him check his junk email folder?

Good call on the Junk mail folder that's exactly where they were.  Somehow I was under the impression that the Junk mail feature of Outlook was disabled if you were using Exchange, but I guess not.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Linn

• Marked as answer by lkubler Friday, January 9, 2015 1:11 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

What email filtering service are you using?

Thanks

Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AWH84 Friday, January 9, 2015 1:13 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, spam filter provider sends a digest email to several managers, and one of managers cannot receive this email. So there is no issue with mail flow. This issue seem like synchronization problem between Outlook and Exchange. Please take your time to collect some information for troubleshooting.

1. Check this issue via OWA firstly. If OWA can receive this email, then check KB 2526306 to troubleshoot this issue.
    2. Can this manager receive other emails?
    3. Please switch another PC with this manager’s account to check this issue.

Thanks,

Best Regards.

Friday, January 9, 2015 9:38 AM

Good call on the Junk mail folder that's exactly where they were.  Somehow I was under the impression that the Junk mail feature of Outlook was disabled if you were using Exchange, but I guess not.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Linn

• Marked as answer by lkubler Friday, January 9, 2015 1:11 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 1:11 PM
  • Hi there,

What email filtering service are you using?

Thanks

We are using Edgewave's ePrism filtering, they are hosting it for us.
    Friday, January 9, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, spam filter provider sends a digest email to several managers, and one of managers cannot receive this email. So there is no issue with mail flow. This issue seem like synchronization problem between Outlook and Exchange. Please take your time to collect some information for troubleshooting.

1. Check this issue via OWA firstly. If OWA can receive this email, then check KB 2526306 to troubleshoot this issue.
    2. Can this manager receive other emails?
    3. Please switch another PC with this manager’s account to check this issue.

Thanks,

Best Regards.

Thanks for the suggestions, fortunately it wasn't this difficult a problem to solve.

Great name btw, ;)

Linn

Friday, January 9, 2015 1:13 PM