Windows 10 or Server 2016 Sequencer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm building a new XenApp 7.x farm on Server 2016.  Using App-V, is Windows 10 the preferred sequencing OS, or should I stick with Server 2016 for my Sequencer?

Regards

Monday, May 28, 2018 12:30 AM

Answers

• I have the same answer as the previous, but let me expand upon it.

Some installers have special logic when they see that you are installing on a server OS.  This is often for the purpose of supporting RDS.  App-V is already solving the purpose of that special logic, so you not only do not need that logic, it can cause problems.

So my preference is to sequence on the Desktop OS.  If I needed to sequence on the server OS, I would HIGHLY recommend doing so without the RDS roles enabled.

Tim

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:31 PM

All replies

• just sequence on a win10 workstation, pref. latest version with latest ADK sequencer. In rare cases you'll run into an issue (or even none at all).

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Monday, May 28, 2018 7:13 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 7:12 AM
  • win10 Enterprise / Pro is sufficient. 
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:39 PM
  • I have the same answer as the previous, but let me expand upon it.

Some installers have special logic when they see that you are installing on a server OS.  This is often for the purpose of supporting RDS.  App-V is already solving the purpose of that special logic, so you not only do not need that logic, it can cause problems.

So my preference is to sequence on the Desktop OS.  If I needed to sequence on the server OS, I would HIGHLY recommend doing so without the RDS roles enabled.

Tim

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:31 PM
  • The sequencer for 2016 I was planning on setting up was just a base 2016 install with just the usual prerequisites such as .NET, C++ and fully patched.  No other roles or features were to be added.  But this intended to follow the previous guidance of the sequencer should match the target OS.  But with 2016, it potentially would have meant a possible cleaner sequencer since I wouldn't have needed to disable Cortana, Store, Candy Crush etc etc.

Are there any suggested guides on preparing a Win 10 sequencer with respect to disabling services etc?

Cheers

Friday, June 1, 2018 1:30 AM
  • Well Windows Search, Update for sure.  Defender, but if Updates are disabled and you disable the windows scheduled tasks (onlogon stuff) it is OK.  Onedrive should also be disabled/stopped.

Saturday, June 2, 2018 6:25 AM
  • I also remove all store apps (and the ability to update them), just to leave out rubbish in your packages.

Roy Essers

Sunday, June 3, 2018 9:30 AM