Shared Mailbox colour categorization not working RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2010

Outlook 2013

Hello Helpful people. I have a shared mailbox by the name ‘Official Travel’. There are multiple users who share it and have full and send-as access rights on ‘Official Travel’.

Sometime ago, USERA reported that colour categorization is not working, the way it used to. USERA is assigned to Yellow colour category and he can only see that. Other categories are not appearing by the custom name. They are simply showing up as ‘blue category’, ‘orange category’, ‘green category’ etc.

For example ‘blue category’ is USERB but USERA can only see ‘blue category’.

USERA has full access to the shared mailbox but she cannot rename the categories as the option is greyed out. 

Is it possible that that this feature was working before but somehow stopped working? I can’t seem to find how’s and why’s of this. Where do I look and how do I fix this. I manage mailboxes but this is beyond me. Help will be appreciated.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From the description, you renamed the default color category names to the users names in the shared mailbox, correct?

The Rename button is always disabled in the Color Categories dialog box for someone other than the mailbox owner, even if you have full access permissions to the shared mailbox. This is the expected behavior.

Have you tried creating a new custom color category (do not use the default color category) and renaming it with user names? Will the issue continue in this situation?

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by Steve Fan Friday, April 15, 2016 6:11 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, April 22, 2016 7:13 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the description, you renamed the default color category names to the users names in the shared mailbox, correct?

The Rename button is always disabled in the Color Categories dialog box for someone other than the mailbox owner, even if you have full access permissions to the shared mailbox. This is the expected behavior.

Have you tried creating a new custom color category (do not use the default color category) and renaming it with user names? Will the issue continue in this situation?

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by Steve Fan Friday, April 15, 2016 6:11 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, April 22, 2016 7:13 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 6:11 AM
  • I too am seeing this issue.  I know for fact that this was working in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2007.  Something in 2016 has changed.

To make matters worse some of my clients still have this working on a mailbox, while I cannot find a way to make it work on any new mailboxes?

Thursday, June 1, 2017 6:19 PM