Importing SQL2008 MP to my own MP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am trying to write a simple MP for an application. as part of my MP I have to monitor some SQL servers and I imported the refrences to SQL management packs.
    Now when I try to create a custom unit monitor and configure it (for instance Microsoft.SQLServer.2008.DBStatus) I get the following error:
    ... requested MP element in [MS.SQLserver.2008.DBstatus] in MP [MS.SQLServer.2008.Monitorin] is not accessiable outside this MP.

it seems that my approach for integrating the SQL MP in my own MP by having references to external MP is not the right way,
    How can I use the SQL monitors or simply the SQL MPs in my MP?

cheers,
    mt
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:02 AM

Answers

• The Microsoft.SQLServer.2008.DBStatus monitor type is defined in the SQL Server Monitoring MP and flagged as internal, so you will not be able to create your own monitor of the same type.  If it was flagged as public, what you're trying to do would have worked.

From what you're looking to do you need to create your Application MP and then tie the SQL Server instance monitoring to your application using the Distributed Application Designer. If you want to link the health of your application to the health of SQL Server, you could discover a relationship between your application and the SQL server instance and then create a dependancy rollup.

• Marked as answer by mtaba1979 Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:16 PM

All replies

• The Microsoft.SQLServer.2008.DBStatus monitor type is defined in the SQL Server Monitoring MP and flagged as internal, so you will not be able to create your own monitor of the same type.  If it was flagged as public, what you're trying to do would have worked.

From what you're looking to do you need to create your Application MP and then tie the SQL Server instance monitoring to your application using the Distributed Application Designer. If you want to link the health of your application to the health of SQL Server, you could discover a relationship between your application and the SQL server instance and then create a dependancy rollup.

• Marked as answer by mtaba1979 Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Thanks Michael!
    i will start working with Distributed Application Designer in order to monitor them as part of my MP.

cheers,
    mt
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:12 AM