none
"There was a problem sending the command to the program" error while on VPN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have a user that has been using Project 2007 for about a year and then a couple weeks ago she started getting "There was a problem sending the command to the program" when opening Project files over a VPN connection, then project will freeze for about 3 minutes. She can open Word and Excel files from the same folder. If she drags the Project files to the desktop and then opens them from there it works normally. The files vary in sizes from half a meg to under 2 megs, so they're not large files and takes about 5-10 seconds to copy over the VPN. None of our other users have this problem. I tried running a repair on Project. Then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Then I tried installing SP2 and all the other updates. I really don't want to reinstall Windows just to fix this issue. She's currently using the work-around of dragging files to her computer and opening them from there. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Friday, September 9, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

• Like Julie, I suspect the user or the system administrators changed something.  Something changed.  Project did not change

That being said, even though it appears you *can* open/close files in Project from a network resource, my experience is that by not doing that it avoids having to deal with issues.  Any issues with files on network shares then becomes a network/PC problem involving IT, bureaucracy, vendors, ... all things that sometimes become projects in themselves to work.

I, and those on my team who work around me, never ever open files from a network resource.  Copy to the local disk and open from there. 

Since you are using a VPN connection, I'm assuming it's across the "internet".  Networks are made up of a bunch of wires and routers that carry packets of information between your PC and the remote file server.  With the internet, the number of wires and routers go up and up.  There is the concept of "hop count" which is the number of "hops" through routers that the packets have to traverse.  Get too many "hops", and sometimes network servers or PC's on the ends get tired of waiting.  File copying across many hops is usually resilient; but file/open across many hops often is not resilient.

It could be the number of hops in the internet increased.  That is out-with your control.

(you can see this idea of hops for yourself using the tracert command, e.g. "tracert www.google.com")

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Travis,

As this is just started, my guess is the user has changed something.  I would check her AutoSave settings and disable.  Is she opening from the "recent" list or from the full Open dialog?

Project does have a reputation for being finicky about network interruptions -- but why this would suddenly start makes it a bit more mysterious.

Julie

Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Like Julie, I suspect the user or the system administrators changed something.  Something changed.  Project did not change

That being said, even though it appears you *can* open/close files in Project from a network resource, my experience is that by not doing that it avoids having to deal with issues.  Any issues with files on network shares then becomes a network/PC problem involving IT, bureaucracy, vendors, ... all things that sometimes become projects in themselves to work.

I, and those on my team who work around me, never ever open files from a network resource.  Copy to the local disk and open from there. 

Since you are using a VPN connection, I'm assuming it's across the "internet".  Networks are made up of a bunch of wires and routers that carry packets of information between your PC and the remote file server.  With the internet, the number of wires and routers go up and up.  There is the concept of "hop count" which is the number of "hops" through routers that the packets have to traverse.  Get too many "hops", and sometimes network servers or PC's on the ends get tired of waiting.  File copying across many hops is usually resilient; but file/open across many hops often is not resilient.

It could be the number of hops in the internet increased.  That is out-with your control.

(you can see this idea of hops for yourself using the tracert command, e.g. "tracert www.google.com")

Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:11 AM
  • I am having the same problem.

Symptoms:

- Opening Project 2010 files from a network share; There was a problem sending a command to the program.

- Opening from local disk, or from Win Explorer using a UNC path; no problems.

- Reinstalling Project makes no difference.

Still trying to resolve this issue. Any ideas?

Saturday, May 5, 2012 5:16 AM
  • 1Damone1,

Ideas:

1.  Talk to your IT department and if this is supposed to work, get them to fix it.

2.  Open Project 2010 files from local list, and not from a network share

(I'd be surprised if reinstall has any affect. You've sort of proved that but I would recommend you not pursue that experiment. Your best bet is to get the IT department involved to fix what you see as a flaw. While they work the problem...and they may not be able to fix in your networking environment--get on with your project by copying the files to a local disk and do project management from there).

Saturday, May 5, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Not sure there is a solution to this - as it's probably a latency issue.

A couple of options:

1) Copy the file locally to your laptop.
    2) Post the file to SharePoint and leverage a synchronization tool such as
    SharePoint Workspace to maintain a local copy.
    3) Implement a lightweight Project Server instance to serve as a file share.
     The Project Server architecture is more suited to this kind of application
    as it maintains a local cache of the file.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 7:32 PM