none
what's your opinion about DPM 2010 -- good ? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to solicit opinion from DPM users out there regarding backing up of very large volume, and hyper-v vms.

I've been using DPM2007, and considering whether I should give DPM another chance, particularly the 2010 version. 

This is what's annoying me most using DPM2007

• Backing up VM that runs windows 2003 is VERY VERY problematic. Sometimes it runs, a lot of times it doesn't, and require manual intervention like consistency check or manually syncronizing and creating replica. 
    • backing up large volume, 2TB and up are VERY VERY problematic. The larger the volume(i'm at 5TB now), the more often backup fails! it fails 80% of the time if not more. Then it requires frequent babysitting(consistency check, manually synching replica)
    • Finding patches and update for it can be made a full time job. So can troubleshooting when UNEXPECTED error occur in the error message
    • You need to write script to delete a replica from yesterday

What do you guys think? has these improved?? or should i toss it and find other backup solution

Friday, September 17, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• thank you all for your 2 cents!! I greatly appreciate it. I guess it's worth beta testing it in our environment. I just wanted to see what others think before i start spending my time with a product. Marketing does a very good job sometimes that it hides the actual flaw of a product

PS: deleting backup from yesterday was just an example. Sometimes i know the data growth in a server is just temporary, and i don't want to grow my replica volume in dpm2007(which will be a permanent thing once you grow it). so i need to delete the oldest replica to accommodate new data. 

thank you all AGAIN!!

Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:17 PM

All replies

• I've been using DPM 2010 for a little bit now and find that it is a improved product over 2007. The auto-grow feature is one that I love. Another featue is the shrink volume feature that you can use to reduce sizes of recovery point volumes when you have allocated too much.

I haven't had any experience backing up VM's running on Windows 2003. Our environment uses Windows 2008 Hyper-V vm's which seem to work fine using DPM 2007 or 2010. DPM 2010 does gives us the native ability to restore VM's to another Hyper-V host as a built in feature. You can't natively does this with DPM 2007 unless you restore to a file and then perform the management tasks to add the VM.

I think your problem with backing up large volumes...2TB and up comes from 32bit windows. I've had a similar issue and the unanimous voices are saying to get off of 32bit file servers and move to 64bit file servers. The 32bit VSS service can only handle volumes smaller than 2TB efficently, after that it starts to provide inconsistent operations.

You still have to handle patches the same way with DPM 2010. Although, I haven't seen them release a patch yet.

I don't understand why you would want to delete a replica from yesterday so I'll need a little more background.

Hope this helps!

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:32 PM
  • What problem were you having with large volumes? If the volume was hosted on a 32-bit server, your problem would be alleviated by moving it to a 64-bit server.  The issue has to do with limited resources and is not really a DPM problem (in other words DPM 2010 would be no better).
    Friday, September 17, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hey,

I know I'm probably not completely objective, but here are my thoughts...

Although I already like DPM 2007 SP1, I know there were a lot of issues with it.  Even with all the hotfix rollup packages, it was not always a pleasure to work with, and you could loose some time on a daily base just by maintaining the system.

DPM 2010 is much approved.  It has a few new features, and protects a few new workloads, but in the end, the product team has decided to work a lot under the hood and not do it the marketing way and add a ton of features.  These changes make a huge difference.  I have now quite some environments still running DPM 2007 (customers don't want to upgrade) and already quite a few with DPM 2010.  Both large ones as smallers ones. 

I can assure you that the IT guys running DPM 2010 have less job maintaining the system and are very impressed with the restore possibilities.  In fact, I even see small companies run a monthly restore test now.

So in my opinion, it is certainly worth trying the new one out, I suggest that you try it in POC first but it will all depend on what your requirements are, and if you have questions, let me know through the forums or through the User Group (scug.be)

And if you are by accident from Europe, and going to TechEd Europe, then ping me so I can arrange something to get you more info on DPM 2010.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:30 AM
  • thank you all for your 2 cents!! I greatly appreciate it. I guess it's worth beta testing it in our environment. I just wanted to see what others think before i start spending my time with a product. Marketing does a very good job sometimes that it hides the actual flaw of a product

PS: deleting backup from yesterday was just an example. Sometimes i know the data growth in a server is just temporary, and i don't want to grow my replica volume in dpm2007(which will be a permanent thing once you grow it). so i need to delete the oldest replica to accommodate new data. 

thank you all AGAIN!!

Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:17 PM