none
Maximum disk size question RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me why DPM 2012 is limited to using only 17TB disks? (per hardware requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399280.aspx)

I just got a new 48TB (12x4TB disks) array for DPM, and if I have to split it up into 3 raid 5 sets instead of 1 big one I'll lose a ton of space. I'm currently just trying out DPM 2012 and I have created 1 large 41TB disk, and I was able to add it to DPM without any complaints, so whats the problem with using it this way?

Thanks for any help understanding this.

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Willmgo,

I do not know if that recommendation was based on just test limits at the time, or if they found real issues (perhaps performance) when exceeding that recommendation.  FYI - I have seen other customers exceed that and not report any problems, so I'm guessing the product group was just being overly cautious and not wanting customers to hurt themselves.  Without giving you a formal blessing, I say go for it and let us know if you run into any problems. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Wilmgo,

As said in the technet link : DPM Hardware requirement - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757757.aspx - These requirements are based on the maximum size of the disk as it appears to the Windows Server operating system.

Another interesting link : Reviewing Storage Limits - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773268%28WS.10%29.aspx

You don't need to split your physical volume into 3 raid 5 array. You may do only one raid 5 array and create x LUN accordings to yours need and present these LUN to your DPM server.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Hi Willmgo,

I do not know if that recommendation was based on just test limits at the time, or if they found real issues (perhaps performance) when exceeding that recommendation.  FYI - I have seen other customers exceed that and not report any problems, so I'm guessing the product group was just being overly cautious and not wanting customers to hurt themselves.  Without giving you a formal blessing, I say go for it and let us know if you run into any problems. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:54 AM
  • Thanks Mike, it would be nice if they gave reasons as the 1.5TB drive recommendation also made little sense (so I went with 4TB drives anyway). Setup would have cost too much using those recommendations. I've so far allocated/used about 10TB out of the 41 usable and havn't had any issues so far, hopefully it stays that way..
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:02 PM