reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone help I want to re install steady state?

I removed it because my pc had slowed down but it was not steady state that was the problem?

has anyone had this happen to them and how did they get around it.

this is the message I get when I try to install it again,

The path C:\Document and setting\martin\local\settings\Temporary internet files\content.IE5\FFG92H64\steadystate[1].msi cannot be found. 

Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:00 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi, I suggest you first remove all the files under C:\Document and setting\martin\local\settings\Temporary internet files\ , then let's download Windows SteadyState again via the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f/4/af4fca6d-1202-4c30-a1bc-853e9a166695/SteadyState.msi

Then, let's check if the reinstallation is successful.

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks' for the reply could you give me some help I'm not sure how to remove the files can you help me with that?

Regard's

Martin.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:56 PM
  •  

Hi Martin, you can simply paste the address C:\Document and setting\martin\local\settings\Temporary internet files\ in Windows Explorer address bar, and remove all files and folders under it. You can also use the following method:

1.       Click Start, go to Run, type cleanmgr and press enter.   

2.       Choose C:\ press OK.

3.       Mark the checkbox Temporary Internet Files and press OK.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:56 AM
  •  

Hi Sean,

I have tried the two methods and it still will not allow me to install it?

I get a dialog box (windows installer) with this message

The feature you are trying to install is on a network resource that is unavailable. 

Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package

'Steady state [1].msi this is what is in the box

C:\Documents and Settings\martin\Local Settings \Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\FFG92H64\ 

What is the package does it not come with the down load?  

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:18 PM
  •  

Do you encounter similar issue when installing other programs? Let's first download Windows SteadyState on desktop and install it again to check the result.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Hi Sean,

I have it on the desktop and have tried the install from there,

But still get the box I mentioned with the use source>C:\Documents and Settings\martin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\FFG92H64\

I click ok and a second message says it can't be found and I should verify access to the location and try again,or try to find installation package 'Steady State [1].msi in a folder from which you can install the product windows steady state.

I do not get this with any other install in fact I installed IE8 last night and it installed with no problems I got it by putting IE5\FFG92H64\ in the address bar hoping to find the file on line.

I would like thank you for all your help and time Sean.

Regards

Martin.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:22 PM
  •  

Thanks for the update, Martin. As this issue can be related to previous installed Windows SteadyState components and Windows Installer , let's continue with the following steps:

Step 1: Remove Temporary Internet Files again

==================

1.       Open My Computer, and locate: C:\Documents and Settings\martin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

2.       Remove all files and folders in it. (Note: some files can be currently in use, we can ignore such similar message.)

Step 2: Use Windows Installer Cleanup to remove previous components

==================

1.       Download and install Windows Installer Cleanup utility via the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301   or

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

2.       After installing it, please open this utility and search for Windows SteadyState related items and remove them.

Then, please restart the computer and install SteadyState again.

Friday, August 29, 2008 3:02 AM
  • Hello again Sean,

I have done what you have said I cleaned temp files and installed the windows install clean up, it had installed ok but when I tried to open it I got this dialogue box > (msicuu.exe – unable to locate component.) This application has failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I tried the re-install but got the same message again when I tried to run it.

So can you suggest another course we may try?

Regards,

Martin.   

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  

Hi Sean,

Good news I have now got windows install clean up working and have followed your instructions and have now installed windows steady state too.

I wish to thank you again for all you help and time regarding this subject.

Best regards,

Martin.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 3:51 PM