none
What are Windows 10 Normal "arp -a" results? RRS feed

• Question

• What are Windows 10 Normal "arp -a" results?

When I run this command from the CMD line it gives me:

192.168.27.1 (unique MAC address)

192.168.27.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

224.0.0.2 (unique MAC)

224.0.0.22 (unique)

224.0.0.251 (unique)

224.0.0.252 (unique)

239.255.255.250 (unique)

255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

And Xarp tells me "ARP Attacks detected" -- I guess because 192.168.27.255 and 255.255.255.255 have the same ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff MAC addresses. Is this normal or has someone hacked my wifi?

This is on a fresh install of Windows 10 and connected to my wifi which last night I couldn't connect to website because firefox gave me the following error:

SSL ERROR NO CYPHER OVERLAP

I've had that before always around midnight on my wifi network. Is that also evidence of hacking?

Monday, April 27, 2020 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    >> And Xarp tells me "ARP Attacks detected" -- I guess because 192.168.27.255 and 255.255.255.255 have the same ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff MAC addresses.
    Based on what I know, the ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff MAC address means that it’s a broadcast MAC address. And 255.255.255.255 is the broadcast address of the zero network or 0.0.0.0, which in Internet Protocol standards stands for the local network. So, 192.168.27.255 and 255.255.255.255 having the same ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff MAC addresses is normal as it indicates that they are both broadcast address. 
    I also run ‘arp -a’ in my test lab and got two IP addresses with the same ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff MAC addresses, which is quite normal. 

>> This is on a fresh install of Windows 10 and connected to my wifi which last night I couldn't connect to website because firefox gave me the following error:
    SSL ERROR NO CYPHER OVERLAP
    Do you mean that you can connect to your wifi but you can’t connect to any website? Does it report the error only when you use firefox, or when you use all kinds of browsers (like IE, Edge, etc.)?
    If it only gives you error when you use firefox, unfortunately, since firefox is a third-party software, please understand that we are not so familiar with it.
    We suggest that you may need to contact the technical support of Firefox to get further help if you want to. 
    The following link contains information about how to fix the error you got on firefox, you may read through it and find out some solutions.

Fix SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP error in Firefox  (Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this can help you.

Best regards, 

Phoebe Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations. Was your issue resolved?

If the information provided is helpful, please mark my previous replies as answered.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards, 

Phoebe Wu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, April 30, 2020 1:36 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we proposed it as ‘Answered’. If the information provided is helpful, please mark it as answered.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.
    We’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Monday, May 4, 2020 1:43 AM