FSCT tool gives a Controller time out while Run Client command RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a simple configuration with 1 Server (Windows Storage Server 2008), 1 Client(Win7 I tried this WSS2008 also), 1 Controller (Wink2K8 R2) with Workgroup options. I pass through all preparation commands successfuly. Run Client fails with Controller time out issue. I check all 3 machines for related events in Event viewer, there is no error logged. I tried to Run Run client commnad with timeut of 60minutes also, but not helpful.
    I am running these commands:
    Prepare Server: fsct prepare server /clients 16.125.12.244 /password P@ssword123 /users 20 /volumes F: /workload HomeFolders
    Prepare Contgroller: fsct prepare controller
    Prepare Client: fsct prepare client /server swxnode1.fc-testlab.nas /password P@ssword123 /users 20 /server_ip 16.125.12.198 /workload HomeFolders
    Run Client: fsct run client /controller dctxvm73.ind.hp.com /server SWXnode1 /password P@ssword123 /timeout 60
    Error waiting for a connection. Waiting for controller timed out.
    Error waiting for the controller to connect.
    Error running test. Error while waiting for the controller to connect.
    Error running client.
    Closing network connection
    Command execution failed.

I even inserted in host file all information about other 2 servers for each system. I even disabled Firewall on all the systems. nothing seems to work. User creation is successfull. Please help me out of this problem
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:17 AM

Answers

• When I ran FSCT, I completely disabled the firewall on my clients, server, and controller. I also ensured that "Network discovery" and "File and printer sharing" settings were turned on under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" on all the machines as well.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 6:41 PM

All replies

• Did you do "fsct run controller ..." as well? If so, could you add the following parameters "/timestamps /verbose debug" to all run commands and share the output?

If you're executing the "fsct run controller" command and it still fails, you might want to check if you have needed firewall exceptions.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:42 PM
  • I tried to enable the ports as per the doc

Firewall Configuration

The following ports are required for firewall configuration:

·      Server and Controller: Ports 139 and 445 required for SMB requests from Clients

·      Clients: Ports 5000 and 5001 required for job requests from Controller (only for the Client network interface connected to the Controller)

I am not sure if I have set it correctly. i went to Windows Firewall settings and created Inbound Rule for 139 and 145 port. Allowed all services inside that. Same thing I did for Client server too for 5000 and 5001 port.
    FSCT still fails at the same phase.
    FSCT run controller, after doing some 2-3 file creation kind of steps when tries to connect to Client, gives this error: winsock error: attempt to connect timed out without establishing a connection

Still stuck at the same point.

Friday, February 5, 2010 11:34 AM
  • When I ran FSCT, I completely disabled the firewall on my clients, server, and controller. I also ensured that "Network discovery" and "File and printer sharing" settings were turned on under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" on all the machines as well.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 6:41 PM