none
Selecting Work Units in Resource Usage View RRS feed

• Question

• In the Project client of 2010 - Resource Usage view, how can I control the units. I would like to see months of work but the display is in hours. My project schedule options are set to Work units in months.

Thanks

Valerie

Valerie Farber
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Valerie,

The timescale controls the level of detail that you see in the Resource usage view.  Try zooming out using the zoom option on the View tab, zoom group.  Or right click at the top of the timescale and choose Timescale from the shortcut menu.  You can then set the zoom for the middle and bottom tier as desired.

As an added note:  although you have set your schedule options to Work in months -- project will always calculate work in hours.  A "month" in project is defined as 20 working days of 8 hours each. 

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi Julie

Thanks for your response! I am configuring reports in Business Intelligence. I am working with time-phased views in which we enter work in units of months. I want the reports to show work in (wo)man-months, not hours, that is why I want to change the units in the resource sheet. I'm trying to add a calculated field which will take work and divide by 160 to express months of work, rather than hours, but I am just getting errors.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot

Valerie

Valerie Farber
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Under Options in Project, select teh Schedule tab. You have Work is default hours. Set that to months and the Usage View changes (well it did in Project 2010 anyway!).

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Thanks Rod. We have different groups of users on our 2010 server. Some use the time phased view and report monthly activity. On those projects Duration and Work are set to months. Other users, who have non-timphased plans, use settings of their own choice (typically work in days, duration in hous).

The global template has work in units of days and duration in units of hours. I don't want to set the global template to units of months for work and duration. Doing so, I assume, will enable me to generate reports in months, but I don't want to affect the non-timephased users and force them to view work and duration in months. How can I generate reports in months (not hours) for the time-phased group without affecting the resource view of the non-timephased users?

Thanks for your help 

Valerie

Valerie Farber
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:03 AM
  • That setting can be set differently for individual projects.

Rod Gill

Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Let's summarize before I make changes on my server:

If the global template settings are for work and duration in months and my timephased projects have work and duration in months, BI reporting should be in units of months.

Non-timephased data which locally has work and duration in hours and days should not be affected by my changing the template units to months

If I would need to do reporting on those non-time phased projects - what will happen regarding the units?

Thanks very much

Valerie Farber
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Your question quotes the Resource Usage View in the project client. I think you will be better off creating a new question in the Project Server group for the BI reporting. That's quite different.

Rod Gill

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Thanks

Will do

Valerie Farber
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:37 AM