Sharing a folder in Windows XP to Everyone and giving specific permission to a particular user to a sub folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
             I have two machines . Machine A [Windows XP Professional - Servicepace 3] and Machine B [Windows 7 Enterprise] and both machines are in the same domain. I shared a folder in XP machine to Everyone with 'Read' permission. This folder contains many sub folders and files. Now all the folders and files in the shared path  are able read by all users from all machines. Now  I need to give a delete permission to a  particular user [Say user1] to a particular sub  folder inside the shared folder. For that  i selected that particular folder and in security tab i added user1 and gave the full permission. I logged in to windows 7 machine  as User1. When i opened the particular folder [to which we have given full permission to the user1]  using the shared path from Window 7 machine, I am not able  to do any modifications in that particular sub folder. It is saying "Acces Denied". I checked security tab of that sub folder again. It is saying that user1 having full security right in that sub folder. How i can overcome this situation? I need to give specific permission to a subfolder in shared path to a particular user. 
    Expecting your valuable reply.
    Regards
    Dominic

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:48 AM

All replies

• No suggestions from anyone ?? :-(

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Should be able to uncheck "Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propergate to this object and all child objects...." on the individual file you want to allow different access for.  Then you configure read permissions for everyone and write permissions for user1 - you can then force those permissions to apply to subfolders and files within that folder if you want to.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Hi Rancher

Thank you for your reply. I unchecked and given Read permission to Everyone and Write permission for user1 in my sub folder. But didnt get any desired output.

Regards

Dominic

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:15 AM
  • What happened when you did this?  
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:19 AM