Application Virtualization service no longer starts after initial install RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok , I'm now fedup with Microsoft version of SoftGrid.... Something so simple like just installing the tool and have it continue to run after a reboot should be a simple task..

My issue is that once I do the initial install and the server reboots the service starts fine, however any reboots after the initial reboot the service no longer runs and I can not get it to start.

"There error that I recieve is Windows could not start the Application Virtualization Management Sever on Local Computer. For More information review the System Event Log. Id this is a non-Microsoft Service, contact the service vendoe, andrefer to the service-specific error code 268480357"

Just a lil background info about my environment"

is that  I'm connecting to a sql cluster using instances for the DB.

I notice that in this version you are not required to have a account pre created on the DB, could this be another bug in the product?

Has any one resolved this issue?
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:57 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Ok,

I finally solve the issue, so just for F.Y.I

In the previous version of SoftGrid the Conf Folder, instructions were to remove everyones access but system and the Administrator. In 4.5 Users or Authenticated users  MUST have permiision of the conf directory in order for the service to run.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:26 PM
  • It should be just the service account (which is NETWORK SERVICE by default)

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Sorry for your pain,

There have been some significant changes in the product, one of which is the fact that an account doesn't have to be precreated in the DB.  This has been with Microsoft following the best security practices and not wanting to require SQL Authentication mode.  What normally happens is the install of the Management Server will configure the App-V service to use the NT Authority\Network Service account as Brian stated.  In previous versions the account was created to allow for the service to be able to communicate with the database.  In the current version there are 2 scenarios

1.  If the Management Server is installed on the same machine as SQL it will add a SQL login for the Network Service account and add it to the database.

2.  If the Management Server is not installed on the same machine as SQL it will add a SQL login for domain\computername$ and add it to the database.

I have seen your error before and it is fairly non descriptive, you might look at the sft-server.log to see if it has any additional info on this error, but I don't believe it does.

I would check the AppVirt database and ensure that there is a login for either NT Authority\Network Service or domain\computername$ depending on your install type listed above.  If it is not there or just to verify make sure it is a member of the SFTEveryone and SFTUser roles.

This is what I have found that usually causes this error, but it is strange that it started up once okay and on subsequent restarts it fails.

Keep us posted.

mattmcdermott

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

We have experienced this error here when setting up the AppVirt environment.

What we found fixed our issue was replacing the NTService account with a member of the AppVirt Admins group (Domain\AdminMember) under the logon tab of the Application Virtualization management server service.

Hope this helps...

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:47 PM
  • rmarmon1,

Did you ever get this resolved? almost a year later now I am having the same issue .....
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:40 PM
  • mattmcdermott,

What exactly did you mean by:

I would check the AppVirt database and ensure that there is a login for either NT Authority\Network Service or domain\computername$ depending on your install type listed above.  If it is not there or just to verify make sure it is a member of the SFTEveryone and SFTUser roles?

Who's supposed to be part of the SFTEveryone and SFTuser roles? the "domain\computername$" computer object from AD into those AD groups?

(I know the questions sounds stupid but is better ask than to assume ..... you know what happens when you assume :-) )

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:39 PM
  • znack,

Funny thing is that last week I was having some other roadblocks and I found this doc form the App-V site and downloaded ..... "just in case I needed it" .... duh!

Thanks man!

edthefixer
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:59 PM