windows 10 start menu not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi sir

I update my laptop windows 7 to windows 10, but after installation i press start windows symbol bottom but it is not working and my system go down slow .   

Friday, July 31, 2015 8:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First please try a reboot to see if it is a temp issue.

If issue still exists, please help test to create a new account and logon with that account to see if issue persists. Personally I think it could related to user profile so a new account or a new profile may help in this situation. 

Also as the system performance is no good, please also test to upgrade drivers for all devices including motherboard, display card etc to see if they are related. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 3, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

You can also try following commands to repair your issue:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Also, test the issue in new user account.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First please try a reboot to see if it is a temp issue.

If issue still exists, please help test to create a new account and logon with that account to see if issue persists. Personally I think it could related to user profile so a new account or a new profile may help in this situation. 

Also as the system performance is no good, please also test to upgrade drivers for all devices including motherboard, display card etc to see if they are related. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 3, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

You can also try following commands to repair your issue:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Also, test the issue in new user account.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:32 AM
  • I tried both and still no luck. Running the command just tells me the command isn't recognised :(

And I can't even create another user, it just hangs and nothing happens when I try :(

My main (and only) account is the Admin account. No Start Menu, no search, no Store and no Edge :( Store and Edge tries to open, then crashes. The crashes are visible in the logbook. And the Online Help just says Error is not known :/

Any other ideas? I just installed Win10 today and dearly regret doing so :(
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:10 PM
  • Just adding my 2 cents…

My Solution

I ran the following command (which is already posted in several threads including this one) in PowerShell (opened with Administrator Privileges). It took a few minutes for this command to complete.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

After running this command, my Start Menu and icons in the task bar and system tray were all fine (a.k.a. fixed).

I was concerned that if I rebooted, that the problem would come back again (as posted by another user), so I immediately created a new user (new Microsoft account, new user).  Then I rebooted and logged in to my new user.  Everything was great; Start Menu working fine.

So, I rebooted again and logged back on to my original account, and that account has remained fixed.  I did this all about 3 days ago and with normal operation, reboots, etc. All is good.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Had the same problem. To set up a new user, right click the Window at the lower left corner and choose "Command Prompt (Admin)".  Then type:  net user <username> <password> /add (/domain) -- where <username> and <password> are the name and password you intend to use.

Anyway, when I rebooted, I could access the Start Menu again, suggesting my primary user had been corrupted somehow.  Unclear what my next step is, but I fixed the problem (sort of).

Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:46 AM
  • Anyone help me understand what this means? I am not a techie
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:02 AM