SIP trunk (with Thinktel) and Media Bypass RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am about to implement a SIP Trunking (thru Thinktel) and was wondeing if I could us the Media Bypass capabilities ?

Someone told me that using SIP Trunk to a provider requires a standalone Mediation Server.

Thanks for any hints.

Regards

Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

it does not require a standalone Mediation server. But it's better to have 2 interfaces in the Front end server where one will be dedicated to the PSTN side. About the Media Bypass, the Provider must support this feature in order for lync to provide it.

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2
    • Marked as answer by EQ23 Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:30 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

it does not require a standalone Mediation server. But it's better to have 2 interfaces in the Front end server where one will be dedicated to the PSTN side. About the Media Bypass, the Provider must support this feature in order for lync to provide it.

• Marked as answer by EQ23 Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:30 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Thanks Thamara

I feel come confident with a Mediaton Server :-)  with 2 NICs

REgards

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:18 AM
  • It's your call :-) any how having a seperate mediaton server is always good if you have a H/W to spare. But it was never a requirement.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:29 AM
  • ThinkTel does not support Media Bypass - ThinkTel does not have any presence on the customer's LAN, so they won't be able to send media to the Lync clients on private, firewalled IPs.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:27 PM
  • I'm told Thinktel does not support media bypass but they can confirm.  A standalone mediation server is not required to use a SIP Trunk provider.

Without media bypass though the mediation server will have additional load.  If you have a sizable deployment it would be a good idea to have a standalone mediation server.

Important:  Mediation servers should be deployed with dual interfaces.  However if you are using a collocated mediation server, do NOT use multiple interfaces and/or multiple IP addresses.  This includes admin or backup interfaces.  If an FE server has multiple IP addresses it can cause intermittent and difficult to troubleshoot meeting join and other failures.  Single IP only on an FE server.  Microsoft has this documented but not as prominently as I would like.

-Some 3rd tier support guy at Microsoft.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:44 PM