How to Distinguish a Physical Disk Device from an Event Message - Updated information available for Vista / Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had an hard disc error and found the following error message (Windows 2008)

"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, is not ready for access yet."

the computer has four discs installed. I'm not sure which of them failed (after a reboot the error was gone). To be sure i want to replace the disc that failed but I'm not sure which of them had the problem. I found the following articles in the knowlegde base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865/en-us

But these articles seem to be outdated (i.e. they do not apply to vista). Does anyone know if there is some updated information available?

Thanks
       Ralf

• Edited by Ralias Friday, August 21, 2009 2:18 PM format
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Ralias,

Thank you for posting here.

I checked these two KB articles and noticed KB244780 is applied to Windows Vista. Could you please double check it again?

In addition, I do not have a IDE harddisk, so I cannot confirm Atdisk key (KB159865) on my computers. But the SCSI key should be right.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Monday, August 24, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Hi Ralias,

I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue in the thread. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance. :)

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Hi Robinson,

sorry i didn't answer. I thought I would get a email notification if someone replied to my questing, but I nether got one. After some time I forgot the question...

Well, it's true that the article KB244780 referes to Vista. However when it comes to identifieng the disk it refers to KB159865 which is outdated.

Anyway, in the meanwhile I somehow figured out which disk failed and replaced it. Sorry again that I didn't take notice of your answers and thank you very much for your help!

Ralf

Friday, January 22, 2010 5:06 PM