Accepted Domains entry causing 550 error for non-Exchange user emails RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Exchange user whose reply SMTP address in his Exchange account setup is a different domain from other users in our organization.

We are using Exchange 2007 SP2 with Outlook clients.

All external emails that are destined for internal users go to a POP3 mailbox at our ISP.  I use the Exchange POP3 Connector to fetch these emails from the ISP and put them in the appropriate Exchange users email box.

When I setup this user who uses a different SMTP reply address, we had a problem where;  EXTERNAL emails addressed to him were being correctly delivered to the ISP and downloaded via the POP3 connector, however they were not delivered to his Exchange mailbox.

I went into Exchange System manager-->Organizational Configuration-->Hub Transport  and added his email domain to the Accepted Domains list as an Authoratiative Domain.   This took care of the non-delivery issue.

However now whenever this user sends an email to someone else who has the same email domain as he does, but who doesn't have an Exchange mailbox in our organization, we get the 505 non-delivery message.

Can anyone advise on what can do to get Exchange to send emails to the internet for this particular domai?n, rather than trying to find an Exchange account in the organization to receive it? Is there something different I need to do in the user's setup, who requires this altenative SMTP address for his emails?  Thanks for any relies.

• Edited by zooeyhall Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:47 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:50:46 +0000, zooeyhall wrote:

>
    >
    >I have a user who is getting a "#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##" error when sending email to a particular external email address.
    >
    >We are running Exchange 2007 SP2, and the clients are Outlook 2007.
    >
    >The return error in Outlook includes the following:
    >
    >recipient@somedomain.com The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.
    >
    >
    >
    >The generating server name in the diagnostic info in the message is the name of my Exchange server.
    >
    >I tried sending to this email address from my Outlook, and received the same error message.
    >
    >The message comes back immediately, so I am assuming it is not getting past our Exchange server.

That's not a good assumption. It takes only a few milliseconds more
    for your server to send the RCPT TO and receive a 5xx status code in
    return. Your SMTP Send protocol logs will verify whether the RCPT TO
    is send and rejected.

>It only seems to be happening on this one particular external email address.

May it really doesn't exist?

>I tried sending a test message to this addresss from my gmail, and it seems to have gone through. So I can only assume the email address is valid.

Valid it may be, but to where the RCPT TO is delivered and where it's
    rejected make a huge difference.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Rich: Thanks for the reply.  I will have to check the RCPT TO logs tomorrow when I am at work.

I have confirmed, however, that when I delete the domain in the Accepted Domains list, the email will go through to the recipient (who has the email domain @accepted_domain.com in his address, but doesn't have an Exchange account) when I send from my Outlook.  And I don't get the 550 error message.  However when an external email is sent to the Exchange user who has the @accepted_domain.com as his SMTP reply address in Exchange, emails are not delivered to his Exchange mailbox. (They are downloaded by the POP3 connector, however.)

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Checked the logs, and they seem to indicate the outgoing message is not going to the internet.  The server is trying to find an Exchange user to match Accepted Domains domain name, and it can't.

Let me ask this--is it necessary to add an Exchange user's SMTP email address domain to the Accepted Domains list in Exchange?  I had to to get emails delivered to this user...

If Exchange users on my server have SMTP reply addresses of @domain.com, and they send an email to a (non) Exchange user who also uses @domain.com:  how do we get email for this non-Exchange user delivered to the internet---instead of the server trying to find an internal user to send it to?  That is the question I am asking.

• Edited by zooeyhall Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:59 PM reply
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

What is that user? Contact in your network? Is it a email enabled contact user? Migrated from other doman?

If this user has external email address, then please verify if we can send and receive via that email address.

Then  you can try to create email enabled contact for that external user.

By the way, what is that different domain? Can we nslookup that domain?

"We have an Exchange user whose reply SMTP address in his Exchange account setup is a different domain from other users in our organization."

Xiu

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Xiu:  Thanks for the reply.  In answer to your questions:

Most of our Exchange users have an SMTP reply address of @ourdomain.com. 

The Exchange user who is having the issue has a different SMTP reply address:  user1@otherdomain.com.  He has a full account on the Exchange server and the account was created, not migrated.  I have verified that I can send external email to the user.

This user is trying to send email to an external, non-Exchange user, who has the same email domain name:  user2@otherdomain.com.  This is where we are getting the bounce.  Exchange is apparently trying to find a user within itself that matches user2@otherdomain.com.

I can succesfully send an email to user2 from my hotmail account, so the address is valid.

Incoming emails for our organization are not configured to go directly to our server.  Instead they go to POP3 mailboxes at our ISP.  I am using the Microsoft POP3 connector (this is a Microsoft Small Business server, btw) to download emails from the ISP to the Exchange mailboxes.

When this was first setup, I could not get Exchange to deliver emails to user1@othercomain.com, until I added the domain to the Accepted Domains list.

When I take otherdomain.com out of the Accepted Domains list, then user1 can send ok to user2.  However now he cannot receive emails.  They are downloaded from the ISP by the POP3 connector, but do not get delivered to his Exchange mailbox.

Please reply if you need further info.  Thank you.

• Edited by zooeyhall Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend you to create mail enabled contact for this user with the external email address and then set the external email address as the primary email address.

Configure Mail Contact Properties

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997434.aspx

Xiu

• Marked as answer by zooeyhall Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:11 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Xiu:

Thank you for the reply.  Per your immediately preceeding post, I created a Mail Contact for user2 (who has the same email domain name as user1, but who doesn't have an Exchange mailbox).  I have told my Exchange users that:  rather then sending mail to user2@otherdomain, to instead pick his name out of the Global Address List.  This seems to work ok.

Thank you for your suggestion, and this thread can now be closed.

• Edited by zooeyhall Friday, November 18, 2011 2:27 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Glad to hear it works now.

Any futher problem, please feel free to post in this forum.

Thanks,

Xiu

Friday, November 18, 2011 2:52 AM