"Show Desktop" icon graphic RRS feed

• Question

• For years in my XP QuickLaunch bar I had the icon I could click on to "show desktop" which had a cute little graphic representing the icon of a pencil writing on a piece of paper on a desktop (rendered like a traditional blotter).  I don't know if it was because I was loading some freeware, but around that time, the cute little graphic disappeared, with the default/generic graphic of a misc unrecognized file type.  The icon itself still works -- when I click on it, it shows the desktop.  But OCD me, I want the cute little graphic back.  How can I get it back?  (I tried the FixIt to create a new icon, and got a new icon, but it did not have the cute graphic.)  Thank you very much for your help!
    Monday, April 2, 2012 3:04 AM

All replies

• Monday, April 2, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Hi Carey,

When I unzipped that file, it was lacking the appropriate graphic for the icon as well!

Is there a way to add the graphic to the file/icon manually?  Or is some trouble shooting possible to see what is causing the problem?

Thanks very much!

Monday, April 2, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Copy and paste the following lines into a Notepad file:

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file to your Desktop as Show Desktop.scf.   Next left-click on the file you just created and drag it down to the Quick Launch bar and
    release.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:41 AM
  • Carey, thank you, but the same issue -- I get a functioning "show desktop" button in the Quick Launch Bar, but it lacks the appropriate graphic for the icon.  Mysterious!
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:16 PM