What NIC cards are useable with Windows Vista Beta 2 build 5834? RRS feed

• Question

• Linksys LNE 100TX Version2.0 Fast Ethernet  PCI Card isn't. Linksys at present has no Vista drivers as I contacted them about the problem. As the subject asks what NIC cards can be used?
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 7:39 AM

Answers

• I ran into a few problems with network cards during early Vista installations. Ironically, many of them were solved once I connected to Windows Update, which I had to do over a wireless connection (my wireless card was supported at the time of installation). While Linksys might not have their own Vista drivers, it is possible Microsoft provides compatible drivers via Windows Update. If you have a wireless or dial-up connection available, you might consider using that to connect to Windows Update.

If you have not yet installed Vista on the system with the Linksys card, try running the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx) on the computer where you want to install it. If the report for your device says to get the driver from Windows Update, you should be able to run the Vista setup.exe program from within XP and tell it to connect to the Internet for updates before it installs.

The question of what hardware is supported is a tough one; hardware that conforms to certain standards may work even though there are no specific drivers provided for the specific device, so a supported-hardware list is not easy to compile. I would be interested to have people chime in here with what NIC card they use that does work, though. I'll go first:

Working:

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (NDIS6.0), Intel PRO/100 VE

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:30 PM

All replies

• I ran into a few problems with network cards during early Vista installations. Ironically, many of them were solved once I connected to Windows Update, which I had to do over a wireless connection (my wireless card was supported at the time of installation). While Linksys might not have their own Vista drivers, it is possible Microsoft provides compatible drivers via Windows Update. If you have a wireless or dial-up connection available, you might consider using that to connect to Windows Update.

If you have not yet installed Vista on the system with the Linksys card, try running the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx) on the computer where you want to install it. If the report for your device says to get the driver from Windows Update, you should be able to run the Vista setup.exe program from within XP and tell it to connect to the Internet for updates before it installs.

The question of what hardware is supported is a tough one; hardware that conforms to certain standards may work even though there are no specific drivers provided for the specific device, so a supported-hardware list is not easy to compile. I would be interested to have people chime in here with what NIC card they use that does work, though. I'll go first:

Working:

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (NDIS6.0), Intel PRO/100 VE

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:30 PM
  • well the netgear fa310tx, and linksys lne100tx are out. Although when i trie to install the lne100tx windows 2000 drivers it wants to work. but comes up with some odd error saying that that name is already in use or something like that. I suspect if i could figure out a way to remove the lne100tx drivers that i had instlled that do not seem to work, which were the xp drivers and install the win2000 ones it might work, but everytime i trie to uninstll them it gives me the error saying cannot remove device drivers cause system may not boot without them.

so i reboot, then i'm able to uninstall them. But once i reboot again, they are right back and darn thing doesnt even ask me which drivers i wish to install.

The intel lan on my motherboard is supported, which my motherboard is a gigabyte GIPE1000pro Rev1, but it seems the onboard adapter has burned out. even windoes xp would detect it, but there would be limited or no connectivity.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:55 PM
  • Have you tried booting in safe mode without networking enabled to remove the drivers?
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:23 PM
  • havent yet, ill try that next. Waiting for cableman to show up and install my cable internet. upgrading from staticy *** dsl, to cable. after thats installed i'll get back to working on vista :) But thanks for the advice. i actually didnt think about removing them in safemode.
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:58 PM
  • Saska, where have you downloaded the driver for the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (NDIS6.0), from? i am unable to find it.
    Saturday, June 24, 2006 5:03 PM
  • I'd like a driver for the 57XX too.  The driver with Vista RC1 does not work - the network speed is basically zero bps!
    Sunday, September 10, 2006 1:12 AM
  • I recently installed Vista on a computer that I built 3 years ago, but when I try to connect to the internet (ehternet connection - DSL) I get this error:

Connecting througn WAN Miniport (PPPOE)...

Error 814: The underlying Ethernet connectivity required for the broadband connection was not found. Please install and enable the Ethernet adapter on your computer via the Network Connections folder before attempting this connection.

Which is what I did, I setup the connection like I did when I had XP. Now when I go and check in Device Manager my Ethernet modem, Audio card, and 56k modem are not be read. I tried downloading drivers for these but none seem to have one for VISTA. Does this mean I have to buy new ones that do? Please help, thanks!

Friday, September 22, 2006 1:08 PM
  • With RC1 and apparently the driver that came with the original d-load I am using VIA Rhein II Fast Ethernet NIC. On the other hand, a few days back an updated driver for this card was offered in the Vista- Windows- update and after installing that the card was no longer functional.

I then went to the System Control Panel and used the "restore previous driver after unsuccessful update-" feature and all was well.

A second attempt produced the same results with the same need to do a restore.

(p.s. I have tried to submit this and other feedback with the Beta Client Agent (RC1) but after filling out the whole of the report the BCA is not able to connect to the server when trying to send the report.  I had updated the BCA just before it stopped working.)

Monday, January 1, 2007 8:29 AM