Vista Home premium does not shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP PC running Vista home premium. When I shut down most of the times it hangs displaying the message Windows is shutting down. Few times when I log off, discounts the internet connection (ADSL & wireless) then Vista actually shut downs. 

Please help!! 

Monday, June 29, 2009 8:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, I would like to share the following with you:

When a Windows system shuts down, messages are sent to the devices, system services, and programs that are installed on the computer to notify them that Windows is preparing to shut down. The operating system waits for responses from programs that are running to make sure that the programs save unsaved data to the hard disk and shut down properly. Each device, service, and program that is running usually responds to the shutdown message with a message that states the program can be closed. If everything works well, the computer is able to shutdown automatically.

However, sometimes we may experience one or more of the following symptoms when we try to shut down the computer:

a)     The computer stops responding (hangs). When this symptom occurs, a teal or black screen may be displayed.

b)     The computer does not turn off when you receive the "Shutting down" message.

c)     An error message is displayed on the screen.

d)     The computer restarts instead of shutting down (actually, it means the system crashes during the shutdown process and then restarted as a result).

Here are typical causes which may affect the Power Management and thus may cause shutdown problems:

a)     Faulty or incompatible device drivers.

b)     System services that either do not respond correctly or send busy request messages to the system.

c)     Faulty or incompatible programs.

d)     The BIOS is out of date.

At this time, let’s try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

2.    Please ensure that both hardware and software installed on the computer are compatible with Windows Vista.

3.    If the computer has second hard drive, Optical Disk Drive or some particular specifications, please temporarily unplug these devices to test the issue again. In other words, we can remove all the unnecessary hardware and only leave the essential ones on the computer to have a test.

4.    Please make sure that BIOS and all the device drivers and are applied properly and up-to-date. 

5.    Since you mentioned that the computer can shut down after disconnecting the Internet connections, please also check your network card:

1)    If a new driver for the network card is available, please try it.

2)    If you are using some software to establish the connection or manage the connections, please check if they are compatible with Windows Vista. If it is possible, please just remove them and try the Windows built-in feature.

6.    Boot the system to Safe Mode and see if the issue will reoccur.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a-5c58eec904a11033.mspx

7.    Please also perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue persists, please also check the event log to see if there are some related error messages.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. Should you have any questions or concerns with the suggestions I provided, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks! :-)

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Hefnawi, ADCO Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:16 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, I would like to share the following with you:

When a Windows system shuts down, messages are sent to the devices, system services, and programs that are installed on the computer to notify them that Windows is preparing to shut down. The operating system waits for responses from programs that are running to make sure that the programs save unsaved data to the hard disk and shut down properly. Each device, service, and program that is running usually responds to the shutdown message with a message that states the program can be closed. If everything works well, the computer is able to shutdown automatically.

However, sometimes we may experience one or more of the following symptoms when we try to shut down the computer:

a)     The computer stops responding (hangs). When this symptom occurs, a teal or black screen may be displayed.

b)     The computer does not turn off when you receive the "Shutting down" message.

c)     An error message is displayed on the screen.

d)     The computer restarts instead of shutting down (actually, it means the system crashes during the shutdown process and then restarted as a result).

Here are typical causes which may affect the Power Management and thus may cause shutdown problems:

a)     Faulty or incompatible device drivers.

b)     System services that either do not respond correctly or send busy request messages to the system.

c)     Faulty or incompatible programs.

d)     The BIOS is out of date.

At this time, let’s try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

2.    Please ensure that both hardware and software installed on the computer are compatible with Windows Vista.

3.    If the computer has second hard drive, Optical Disk Drive or some particular specifications, please temporarily unplug these devices to test the issue again. In other words, we can remove all the unnecessary hardware and only leave the essential ones on the computer to have a test.

4.    Please make sure that BIOS and all the device drivers and are applied properly and up-to-date. 

5.    Since you mentioned that the computer can shut down after disconnecting the Internet connections, please also check your network card:

1)    If a new driver for the network card is available, please try it.

2)    If you are using some software to establish the connection or manage the connections, please check if they are compatible with Windows Vista. If it is possible, please just remove them and try the Windows built-in feature.

6.    Boot the system to Safe Mode and see if the issue will reoccur.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a-5c58eec904a11033.mspx

7.    Please also perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue persists, please also check the event log to see if there are some related error messages.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. Should you have any questions or concerns with the suggestions I provided, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks! :-)

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Hefnawi, ADCO Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:16 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Thanks. I have Symantec endpoint antivirus. My PC HP DV2000 tow years old. No prephirals except LINKSYS WAG200G.

How can I know which faulty or incompatible programs?. All programs are working fine without crash.
    How the event log could help.

Please reply to melhefnawi@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Since this issue can be caused by several possible reasons, we need perform some tests to check the issue. At this time, I would like to know if you have tried my suggestions above and how it works. If you are busy and have no time to try these, please try my suggestions when it is convenient to you and keep me updated.

You may see that the steps may be complicated and time consuming. What's more, we can eliminate some possible causes and narrow down the issue.

In addition, if you find some related errors in event log, please also post them to this thread.

For detail information about event log, please refer to:

What information appears in event logs? (Event Viewer)

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1bcadb98-7479-4fad-82dd-7f30a80dfa4f1033.mspx

Thanks again for your time and efforts!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

I have not heard from you on this issue for several days and just checking how are things are going on? Do you have time currently to work on this issue?

I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know if you have any questions or concerns with the information I provided. If so, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance. :)

Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, July 20, 2009 11:01 AM
  • I have the same problem with Vista Home Premium and click start and then shutdown. I have tried powering the computer down removing the battery. Performed chkdsk /f and ran msconfig, disabling all startup, services and removing. Tried safemode and the problem still is occuring. Tried a restore point and no lick. What the heck is the problem?
    Monday, October 3, 2011 2:02 AM