Changing PSTN Gateway next hop IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Mediation Server connected to a GW that are working just fine. The GW is a server that I am using to make a proof of concept testing with a limited group of users, but now I have prepared a new GW following the same configuration but better hardware provisioning.

Now I go off to my Mediation server to the PSTN gateway next hop field and change the IP address of the tests GW to the IP address of the new GW. I stop the Mediation server service and start it again but no signaling is received in the new GW. If I change again to the former IP address and repeat the process, Mediation server sends traffic, and calls are stablished.

I have made sure that there is IP communication between both servers, I have tested the new GW by contacting it by other means and there is answer. My questions is: what do I have to do to make Mediation server to acknowledge the change of GW? do I have to deactivate and active it again? everything is working fine and wouldn't like to mess the already working solution.

No good thing but Mediation server firewall is off for the time being.

thanks for any ideas.

Friday, August 6, 2010 12:59 AM

Answers

• Yes, basically the GW was not receiving TCP traffic because it wasn't configure to do so. I overlooked one configuration step in which you enable a Trixbox CE to listen TCP traffic coming from the Mediation Server. Now they are talking.

Thanks for the comments, that led me to correctly diagnose the issue and thus avoiding to do things that do not solve the problem.

Marinho.

• Marked as answer by Marinho Coast Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Marinho,

Changing the next hop and restarting the mediation services should be enough.  Have you verified the gateway is listening on the proper ports and is configured to talk with the mediation server?  Maybe check TCP/TLS settings and ports.  Also, you can try telneting from the mediation server to the gateway on the port it is listening on.

Hope this helps!

-kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Friday, August 6, 2010 1:15 AM
  • How many network interfaces are on the Mediation Server? And are both the old and the new media gateway's on the same TCPIP network?  There may be a configuration difference between the old and new gateway that is preventing the Mediation server from succesfully routing to it.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, August 6, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Jeff,

There is one NIC on the Mediation Server. The GWs are on different subnets of the same TCPIP network. However the new GW is on the same subnet as the Mediation Server.

I'll double check if there is a difference between both servers, they have Trixbox CE installed on them.

Thanks.

Friday, August 6, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Kevin said this, but make sure the TCP ports are setup properly on the new gateway. Not all gateways have the same default TCP/TLS port configs. What model is the new PSTN gateway?

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Yes, basically the GW was not receiving TCP traffic because it wasn't configure to do so. I overlooked one configuration step in which you enable a Trixbox CE to listen TCP traffic coming from the Mediation Server. Now they are talking.

Thanks for the comments, that led me to correctly diagnose the issue and thus avoiding to do things that do not solve the problem.

Marinho.

• Marked as answer by Marinho Coast Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:36 PM