Review Activity error on Self-Service Portal: "The Approve operation is not allowed..." RRS feed

• Question

• A user reported an error today which I have not come across before, hoping someone can help out.  User was assigned a Review Activity and it's status was In Progress.  When the user went to approve the activity on the Self-Service Portal, the following error message was received: 
    "The Approve operation is not allowed in the current state of the activity, refresh the page and try again later."

The Review Activity was In-Progress, and had been in that status for a few hours, and no other users have reported the error.  I was thinking it could be a permissions issue, however the fact that the user can get to the SSP and view the activity discounts this.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:51 AM

All replies

• I had this intermittent issue before at a customer site (it happened 3-4 times).

The Silverlight logs from the user machine (SMPortalTrace.log ) & SharePoint Server logs were showing that is related to permission issue. However and as you mentioned that is nothing to do with permission because the user can access the SSP ( and the RA is in progress).

I ended up opening a PSS with MS (I sent the above logs), then they came back asking me for additional logs from SQL but this logs must be captured when the error occurred BUT since then (~3months ago) this error didn't reoccur. (the SSP call was closed and archived in case if it happens again)

However, when I was troubleshooting this issue I found the following: 

• If I add/assign more “Review Activity” from the SM console to that person, then that person will be able to approve the “Review Activity - In Progress” again from the portal
    • If I remove that person (Reviewer) from RA then add it again as “Reviewer” to the same RA, then that person will be able to “Approve” or “Reject” the RA.

Below are the steps to capture the required logs:

1.        Logon to your SQL server, enable the SQL Profile trace in your SQL server when stores the CMDB.
    2.        Start the SM Trace in Sharepoint server where the SMPortal stores. Step as below:

l  Open a command line window and navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager\Tools;

l  Type command StopSMTracing.cmd to stop default capturing;

l  Delete all files in C:\Windows\Temp\SMTrace;

l  Type command StartSMTracing.cmd -l VER to start capturing;

3.       Then please reproduce the issue, let customer reproduce the issue.

4.       Type command StopSMTracing.cmd to stop capturing;

5.       Type command TraceFmtSM.exe -f c:\Windows\Temp\SMTrace\default.etl -tmf SvcMgrTrace.tmf to format the trace;

6.       Stop the SQL profiler trace.

7.       Upload the following files

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Service Manager\FmtFile.txt

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Service Manager\FmtSum.txt

SQL Profile trace

Operations manager event log in SharePoint

Client SM trace file, you can follow the article to get the client trace.  http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2012/01/20/troubleshooting-self-service-portal-issues-in-scsm-2012-your-request-could-not-be-submitted.aspx
    • Edited by Ayman Yassine Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:54 AM Update
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:52 AM